How to install Win 7 for dual boot (on new PC) using BIBM?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: How to install Win 7 for dual boot (on new PC) using BIB

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

If the Dell method doesn't work you could install Win7 to another computer, image the partition and use TBIDTool to restore the image to your Dell laptop.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Brian K wrote:
> Jim,
>
> If the Dell method doesn't work you could install Win7 to another computer,
> image the partition and use TBIDTool to restore the image to your Dell
> laptop.

Hi,

That's too funny :)!!

What you suggested was what I was thinking of before going to bed last night, and I just started an image on another machine I have to do that, then saw your post.

But, I have an IFL CD I just created the other day. Should that be able to do a restore from an image that was made by BING (not BIBM)?

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

ohaya wrote:
> Brian K wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > If the Dell method doesn't work you could install Win7 to another computer,
> > image the partition and use TBIDTool to restore the image to your Dell
> > laptop.
>
>
> Hi,
>
> That's too funny :)!!
>
> What you suggested was what I was thinking of before going to bed last night, and I
> just started an image on another machine I have to do that, then saw your post.
>
> But, I have an IFL CD I just created the other day. Should that be able to do a
> restore from an image that was made by BING (not BIBM)?
>
> Jim

Well, that didn't work. Neither the old or new IFL would recognize the old BING .IMG files, so I'm re-backing up using the new IFL.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

ohaya wrote:
> ohaya wrote:
> > Brian K wrote:
> > > Jim,
> > >
> > > If the Dell method doesn't work you could install Win7 to another computer,
> > > image the partition and use TBIDTool to restore the image to your Dell
> > > laptop.
> >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > That's too funny :)!!
> >
> > What you suggested was what I was thinking of before going to bed last night,
> and I
> > just started an image on another machine I have to do that, then saw your post.
> >
> > But, I have an IFL CD I just created the other day. Should that be able to do a
> > restore from an image that was made by BING (not BIBM)?
> >
> > Jim
>
>
> Well, that didn't work. Neither the old or new IFL would recognize the old BING .IMG
> files, so I'm re-backing up using the new IFL.

Got the image from another system using new IFL and was to restore to the partition I had setup on the M7510, but when I try to boot that partition on the M7510, it blue screens :(...

It wouldn't even let me do a safe boot... it bluescreened there also, so I'm trying a startup repair.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I gave up on the copying an image from one machine to the Dell, and instead, I was able to Nlite and a USB stick with the Windows 7 installation files on it, and inject the USB 3.0 drivers from the Dell website.

Now, when I boot to the USB stick, I can get past the "driver needed" point!!

Ok, that was the good news...

But the bad news is when I click "Install now" and it shows the table with the eligible partitions, it is only show the hard drive (Drive 0) AND worst yet, it is showing the whole 931GB as "unallocated" :(!!

Is it possible that I also need Dell-specific drivers for the HARD DRIVE *AND* the M.2 SSD?

Anyone else here has a current Dell that might be knowledgeable?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

I think the reason why the HD was showing as 931GB unallocated was because I didn't have it in the boot menu for that boot item (since I was trying to install on the SSD).

I created a partition on the HD and created a new boot item for a Win7 on the HD and it looks like the installation for that is going now.

I'll try to install all of the drivers off of the Dell site and install it into that Win7 on HD and then try to copy the partition to the SSD after that ...

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

I got all drivers installed on the Win 7 on the hard drive, but I have a couple of drivers that are not working, including one ("PCI device") that appears to be a "Samsung NVM controller").

I just found this:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/ ... N300994/EN

and if I'm reading that correctly, it sounds like Dell doesn't support the NVM SSD that they put into the M7510 under Windows 7?

I'm in the process of copying the partition from the HD to the SSD and will see if it boots/runs.

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

I used BIBM to copy the Win7 pariion that is on the HD to make a Win7 on the SSD.

I setup a boot item for it but when I boot that, it gets to the "Starting Windows" display and the things start spinning, then it gives a BSOD.

I was hard to catch to BSOD, so I took a video, and put a copy in the same OneDrive folder:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjmS0OAwpbKCsWNjGDjcT5VkW_on

It looks like it's getting a STOP 0x0000007B.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could try?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. The BSOD also happens even if boot the Windows 7 in Safe boot mode.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

This is worth trying and maybe it will work but no promises.

Boot IFL, select the TBIDTool, Restore a TBI Image file to a Physical drive,
Mount a Partition as Drive 1
Select partition
find your image
etc
Don't install driver
Remove existing drivers and install default IDE/AHCI drivers
Auto detect HAL
etc

If you still get a BSOD find which Dell storage drivers are needed and repeat TBIDTool with adding the drivers.
CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

ohaya wrote:
> and if I'm reading that correctly, it sounds like Dell doesn't support the
> NVM SSD that they put into the M7510 under Windows 7?

SSDs which plug into an "NVMe" socket appear on the "NVMe" data bus, and not on the SATA data bus (that might be a simplification, but is near enough). So you need a driver specifically for the NVMe data bus. If Dell do not provide one for Windows 7, you could try the one for Windows 10, or look on the website of the SSD manufacturer to see if they provide one. If neither of those work, you will not be able to use Windows 7 installed on the SSD, but you should be able to continue to use Windows 7 installed on the HDD.

By the way, when you installed Windows 7 on the HDD, did you follow the advice in the following post; if you did not, it is possible that whatever other data was on the HDD has now been overwritten:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... 098#p12098

-- from CyberSimian in the UK