Creating Multi-Boot 64-Bit Win7, Win8, LinuxMint on SSD+HDD

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
sigi

Re: Creating Multi-Boot 64-Bit Win7, Win8, LinuxMint on SSD+

Post by sigi »

Brian K wrote:
> sigi,
>
> One BIOS setting we haven't discussed is Secure Boot. You should have an
> enable/disable setting or a UEFI OS/Other OS setting. Secure Boot should be
> disabled when using BIBM.

It is imperative to set CSM Enabled if I want to use BIBM. The CSM Enabled setting automatically switches Secure Boot to Disabled on my Notebook.

> After you convert your HD to MBR/EMBR you will
> use CSM enabled, Secure Boot disabled.

It goes without saying that in order to convert my HD to MBR/EMBR by means of the chgdtype.tbs script, BIBM would have to see the HD, which is not the case yet. I still do hope that Terabyte can come up with a solution to this problem

> Let's assume the worst. You can't see the HD with BIBM. You can still copy
> your Win 8 to the SSD and install Win7 and Linux Mint to the SSD. So all OS
> will be on the fast SSD, booting wih BIBM.

I hate to have a 500 GB HDD corpse in my Notebook and restrict the size of the 3 OS's and the Extended (or the data folders) to the remaining 250 GB of the SSD.

> Forget Extended partitions on the SSD. You don't need one.

I prefer to see drive letters in my Windows Explorer instead of having an additional hierarchy level in my Users folder (the one big disadvantage of Linux in my eyes). Drive Letters are much more comspicuous. I use almost the entire alphabet and would never renounce that.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

sigi wrote:

>
> It goes without saying that in order to convert my HD to MBR/EMBR by means of the
> chgdtype.tbs script, BIBM would have to see the HD, which is not the case yet.

No, not true, You can do the MBR/EMBR conversion with TBWinRE. Install IFW, make a TBWinRE boot disk, boot the disk and run chgdtype.tbs. TBWinRE will see your HD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm

I omitted a few steps. Install TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro for BootIt. When you create the TBWinRE boot disk use the path to TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro for BootIt in the TeraByte OSD Tool Suite (TBOSDT) field. chgdtype.tbs requires this version of TBOSDT.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

sigi wrote:

>
> I hate to have a 500 GB HDD corpse in my Notebook and restrict the size of the 3 OS's
> and the Extended (or the data folders) to the remaining 250 GB of the SSD.
>

The 500 HB HD will not be a corpse. It will hold your data. The SSD will hold your operating systems.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Brian,

Thank you for your last two posts, which are very useful indeed.

You answered the question I had intended to pose for an alternative method of running chgdtype.tbs.

As concerns the data partition on the (GPT) HDD: how can it be created? In Win8.1 Disk Management? Can it be created as an Extended Partition with Volumes in it that will get drive letters assigned in Windows Explorer as we know it from BIBM?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

sigi wrote:

> As concerns the data partition on the (GPT) HDD: how can it be created? In
> Win8.1 Disk Management? Can it be created as an Extended Partition with
> Volumes in it that will get drive letters assigned in Windows Explorer as
> we know it from BIBM?

It will be a MBR/EMBR disk. You can create an Extended partition and Volumes using Partition Work from an IFL boot disk.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Brian, I think I have now all the material I need (as far as I can overlook now) to realize my (your ;) ) plan. I hope for your indulgence if from now on I am following my lines of thinking and asking questions on past postings rather eratically.

Brian K wrote:
snip
> Bob, sigi has started a huge project but the end is in sight. The HD needs to be
> imaged for backup purposes. Then the disk will be converted to MBR/EMBR. Then the OS
> partition will be resized smaller and copied to the SSD. Several more steps will
> follow.

Brian, do you (or anybody else) know (for certain), whether Win8.1 after having been converted and copied to the SSD would still get a free upgrade offer from MS or do you think I should enforce and carry out the upgrade prior to conversion to MBR/EMBR irrespective of the present immaturity of Win10?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Don't worry about the Win10 upgrade as it can be done at any stage. As long as Win8.1 is Activated, Win10 will be Activated. But I suggest you do the upgrade later. Finish the current project while it's fresh in our minds.
sigi

Post by sigi »

I thought they might refuse to provide the free upgrade on a MBR disk because they tied Win10 so closely to UEFI and Secure Boot, at least on new computers. Should that be different for existing computers?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

sigi, how is the project progressing?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I have a five year old computer running Windows 7. No UEFI or secure boot. I haven't gotten Windows 10 and don't plan to for a while, but the Get Windows 10 (Windows 10 tray icon) has been inviting me to get it and telling me that the computer is compatible.

sigi wrote:
> I thought they might refuse to provide the free upgrade on a MBR disk
> because they tied Win10 so closely to UEFI and Secure Boot, at least on new
> computers. Should that be different for existing computers?