BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby james333 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks a lot i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.
james333
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 am
Location: Chicago,Illinois,USA

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby fileant » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 am

I think the erase is overcomplicated, according to wiki since 2001 SATA drives can not be recovered after one overwrite. i.e. it is just wearing out you drive writing patterns (and with multiple passes) especially on an SSD.

So you could simplify it by ...
erase with ATA Secure erase if supported
erase with 0's for HDDs that do not support ATA secure erase.
erase with 1's for SDDs that do not support ATA secure erase. (I think on an SSD a 1 is a zero).

Also, maybe some SSD's will not secure erase until you delete the partitions. (not sure as I have not tried yet, but I think Intel needs no partitions using its util from windows or something like that)
fileant
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby DrTeeth » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:22:09 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
fileant disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I think the erase is overcomplicated, according to wiki since 2001 SATA drives can not be recovered after one overwrite

The way the mechanicals work determines whether data is recoverable or
not, not the interface.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby a1pcfixer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Fileant,

> Also, maybe some SSD's will not secure erase until you delete the partitions. (not sure as I have not tried yet, but I think Intel needs no partitions using its util from windows or something like that)

Stop by.......
http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php?id=250366&group=grc.techtalk#250366
......where they're discussing such in great detail.

For news readers; news.grc.com [grc.techtalk]
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

a1pcfixer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby mjnelson99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Steve did say he MIGHT work on Spin Rite this year.
It took him numerous years to allow Spin Rite to even work
on NTFS systems.

Who knows.
Mary



On 2/23/2012 4:03 PM, a1pcfixer wrote:
> Fileant,
>
>> Also, maybe some SSD's will not secure erase until you delete the partitions. (not sure as I have not tried yet, but I think Intel needs no partitions using its util from windows or something like that)
>
> Stop by.......
> http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php?id=250366&group;=grc.techtalk#250366
> ......where they're discussing such in great detail.
>
> For news readers; news.grc.com [grc.techtalk]
mjnelson99
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby a1pcfixer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:54 pm

My reply and link here to fileant was regarding his erasing files on
SSD media, not so much SpinRite.

For you.....
Yep....Steve might. He's his own boss & works on what pleases him.
So he'll get to SR when current issues get finished up.
First upgrade to SpinRite will be to version 6.1 which'll most likely
be some simple fixes.

SR 7.x will be his biggie, with SR no longer depending on the BIOS, in
many ways curing a plethora of current shortcommings. A couple are SR &
RAID arrays, another might be to include a HD erase feature.

Btw, SR the current version got released in 2004. It's due to get
upgraded.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

a1pcfixer
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: BootIt Boot Manager and SSD

Postby DrTeeth » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:54:27 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
a1pcfixer disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Btw, SR the current version got released in 2004. It's due to get
>upgraded.

Sir, you are being waaayyyy too polite .
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Previous

Return to BootIt Bare Metal