Clone/Imaging Windows 8

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
peanutsmonkey

Clone/Imaging Windows 8

Post by peanutsmonkey »

Hi,

We have an Acer laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8. It comes with a recovery partition (not visible) and uses UEFI and SecureBoot. I had a look at the manual to see whether Windows 8 can be either cloned or imaged so that I can restore it to the same device with a larger harddrive or to another dissimilar device. I didn't see any step by step instructions on how I can achieve this. Is there a guide I can follow that takes me through it step by step?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Clone/Imaging Windows 8

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It would be the same as Windows 7 or even XP. You can select to scale the partitions for the larger drive, if you wish. I would recommend enabling the "Align Partitions on 2048 Sectors" global option in Settings and using the "Scale to Fit" option when restoring or copying. When backing up or copying, select the entire disk to get everything.

If you need to put the drive into a different system you may need to add and/or remove drivers. This can be done using the TBOSDT TBIDTOOL script or OSDTOOL script. Note that Windows 8 has many built-in drivers -- aside from any activation issues (OEM versions are for one system only), it may move to another system without needing any pre-boot changes.
DrTeeth

Re: Clone/Imaging Windows 8

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:06:45 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>If you need to put the drive into a different system you may need to add and/or remove drivers.

Depends on OS. With Win XP, one needs to reinstall the generic drivers
for the hard drives. Leaving any third party drivers will cause a
BSOD. Other than that all should be well after a few reboots.

Vista (x64 is very nice unlike the 32-bit version) and 7 will deal
with any hardware changes automatically - may need a few reboots
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.