slide(move) last 2 out of 7 partitions on lenovo yoga 13

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
RonPack

slide(move) last 2 out of 7 partitions on lenovo yoga 13

Post by RonPack »

I have Lenovo Yoga 13 windows 8 laptop, came with 1 - 128gb ssd. I replaced it with a 256gb ssd and added a 2nd 256gb ssd. I used clonezilla and did a disk copy of original 128gb to a new 256gb ssd and put the cloned copy in place of the 128gb drive. Now the Yoga has the cloned 256gb ssd and a empty 256gb ssd and the original 128Gb ssd not being used. If I boot on a BIBM cd the partitions are:

1 winre_drv 1000Mb HPFS/NTFS
2 system 260Mb EFI SYSTEM
3 LRS_ESP 1000Mb FAT32
4 Microsoft reserved 128Mb GPT entry
5 windows 106644Mb HPFS/NTFS
6 LENOVO 4096Mb HPFS/NTFS
7 PBR_DRV 8975Mb HPFS/NTFS
FREE SPACE ~ 120000Mb

I used a OneKey backup program that is support to backup the OS.
I used the Microsoft Windows 7 application in Windows 8 to backup what ever that backs up.
I made a boot window 64bit recovery CD.

Can BIBM be the boot manager with a GPT drive?
I want to move the free space into partition #5 windows 8 partition.
It would be great to get rid of some of the partitions back have a backup image that could be restored.

Please advise, thanks

Ron
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: slide(move) last 2 out of 7 partitions on lenovo yoga 13

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You can't use BIBM as a boot manager on a GPT drive. However, you can still boot to BIBM using the boot media and make partitioning changes. You can also use IFD GUI (included with BIBM) to create backup images and restore them. If you have IFW or IFL those could also be used for backing up and restoring.
RonPack

Post by RonPack »

So I will slide the last 2 partitions to end of free space, then add free space into windows 8 with BIBM, and BIBM will update the GPT? I upgraded my memory from 4Gb to 8Gb should I increase the Fast Boot partition from 4096 to 8192?

Is Terabyteunlimited planning a release of a multiple boot manager for GPT drives? Any Boot managers to recommend now that support GPT?

If I delete all the partitions except windows 8 and GPT partition (maybe keep the Fast Boot Partition) will windows 8 boot? Would I have to change something in the BCD? What partitions to keep and what to delete and still be able to boot windows 8?

Can I just convert back to MBR and EMBR partition with BIBM?
What are cons other than can't access larger hard drives?

thanks
Ron Pack
TeraByte Support(PP)

BIBM supports GPT drives.

I think I would make the minimal changes first (resizing the Windows partition) and make sure that works okay. Then you can create an updated backup image of the drive and go on from there if you want further changes.

GPT installations are configured a lot differently from MBR. If you switch to MBR/EMBR you'll just have Windows -- no OKR, Factory Restore, Fast boot, etc. (You may lose some of those features just by having changed the drive and moving the partitions .) You can take a look at this KB article for the general idea: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=580
RonPack

Post by RonPack »

thanks Paul,

But can BIBM be installed to the GPT hard drive and live ok with UEFI? and manage multiple OS?

If the answer is yes, before I move the last 2 partitions after the windows 8 partition to the end of the free space, should I make a BIBM EMBR partition and the end of the free space for BIBM install later?

If not, your stating that BIBM can just be used in a legacy CD/USB boot situation to manage partitions on a GPT drive?

Ron Pack
TeraByte Support(PP)

That was answered in my first reply. You can't use BIBM as a boot manager on a GPT drive -- it's not supported. You can't install BIBM on a GPT drive. You can use BIBM from its legacy boot media (CD, UFD, etc.) to manage partitions on a GPT system.

If you wish to use BIBM as a boot manager on the system you will have to convert to EMBR (KB article in previous reply). If you want to multi-boot and the system properly supports non-UEFI booting and you don't care about anything besides Windows, you could do the conversion. Make sure you have a backup first of the entire GPT drive in case you need to revert or try again.