WinXP running CHKDSK at startup

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
IanC

WinXP running CHKDSK at startup

Post by IanC »

I am using BootIt BM and have two OS installed on different partitions. One is XP, the other is Win8. Data is stored on 2 drives on the extended partition which are always D: and E:. System is of course C: and neither OS can see the other system partition.

When I startup on the XP partition it is telling me that it needs to run CHKDSK to check consistency on D: and E:. It doesn't seem to find any problems, but it won't go away. At the moment I am trying to unset the dirty bit on D: and E: by following the instructions (on cnet) - first answer on that forum by Darrin S.

Any ideas what is causing this?
TeraByte Support

Re: WinXP running CHKDSK at startup

Post by TeraByte Support »

For one, ensure you disabled the Win8 fast startup - properties of that
partition in partition work, ensure it's off.

"IanC" wrote in message news:4990@public.bootitbm...

I am using BootIt BM and have two OS installed on different partitions. One
is XP, the other is Win8. Data is stored on 2 drives on the extended
partition which are always D: and E:. System is of course C: and neither OS
can see the other system partition.

When I startup on the XP partition it is telling me that it needs to run
CHKDSK to check consistency on D: and E:. It doesn't seem to find any
problems, but it won't go away. At the moment I am trying to unset the
dirty bit on D: and E: by following the instructions here (

) - first answer on that forum by Darrin S.

Any ideas what is causing this?

IanC

Post by IanC »

Well I thought fast startup was disabled, but I just checked the settings and it wasn't so I have done it now. I don't think that can have been the problem though as I have not knowingly hibernated the system.

The resetting of the dirty bit has fixed the problem with the D: and E: drives and all seems to be working now, and I have been back and forth between the two partitions several times today, so hopefully that is it. Thanks for your help.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Ian,

How did you reset the dirty bit?
IanC

Post by IanC »

I had put a link to it in the original post but it's not there now. Are we not allowed to post links?

You can check the status of a drive from a command prompt. Type "fsutil dirty query d:" (or whatever drive you have a problem with) and it will tell you whether it is dirty or not. If it is dirty, type "chkntfs /x d:" and then reboot. It should reboot without checking the disk. Then at a command prompt again, run "chkdsk /f /r d:". It will check the disk in 5 stages, and it might take a long time. If it seems to be stuck for ages without the % changing on stage 4, don't worry, just be patient, it will start moving again. When thats done, you should be ok, check the dirty status again and reboot.

I'm not sure if the second step ("chkntfs /x d:" and reboot) is really necessary, but I did it and the whole procedure worked.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:38:43 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
IanC disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> I don't think that can have been the problem though as I have not knowingly hibernated the system.

You have if you have switched it off. Win 8 hibernates at shut down by
default.
--

Cheers

DrT
IanC

Post by IanC »

DrTeeth wrote:
> You have if you have switched it off. Win 8 hibernates at shut down by
> default.

I see what you mean, I have just re-read the notice about W8 Corruption at the top. That is what I have done, how careless.

I am still having problems with this even after disabling the fast startup. CHKDSK is reporting errors on D: again and is fixing them again. Is this likely to keep happening now that I have broken it once or should the problem go away now that fats startup is disabled? I have a good backup of D: so I am just wondering if the smart thing to do is wipe it clean and restore the backup.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi,

Just run chkdsk with the /f switch. You should be able to do that from the OS, chkdsk will offer to unmount the data drives. I used to get so much corruption in this situation, that it took chkdsk over 30 mins to fix it.

Once you make sure that hibernation, in any form, is being used, I expect the issue will stop.

Good luck.

DrT