Boot Device Not Found - 3F0 - on restored partition number 7 and onwards

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
discovery747

Boot Device Not Found - 3F0 - on restored partition number 7 and onwards

Post by discovery747 »

Before I had a 500 GB SSD and it was enough space to boot W10 at 150 GB x 3 times.

I have recently purchased a 2 TB SSD (intentionally not larger) so I can still Multiboot the old MBR BIOS mode - my laptop is HP EliteBook 8770W, which has both new UEFI support, and also the old style MBR BOIS support -

Because the UEFI version is 2.0, and it seems there will be no further upgrades to this unfortunately, and for BootIt UEFI minimum ver 2.2 is required, if I want multiboot, I have to stay with MBR BIOS boot scheme, which for this laptop I do.

Now with the new 2TB SSD drive, I was able to successfully restore W10 6 times, to test certain software issues, normally 150 GB each fits in 2TB some 17 times, and

I recall older Terabyte Unlimited Multibooting info to say you can boot up to 200 Operating Systems, and Max 16 drives are supported.

However, when I restore the 7-th time, on the Slot 7 how I also call it, well is Partition 7,

(plus an additional one partition at the beginning of the drive is the Terabyte Unlimited Boot Partition 100 MB I believe,

The 7’th time I get error
Boot Device Not Found - 3F0
Furthermore, at next reboot, another error comes up,

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI suggesting to start testing RAM Memory, etc.

I assessed there would be no problem in this area, I just exit and reboot, and now BootIt Bare Metal comes up again normal, and will boot no problem any of the first 6 W10,

however as soon as I try nr 7, the error comes up again.

I suspect BootIt Bare Metal is trying to do its job, but somehow the BIOS is not happy, does not boot, and gives me this error.

It would be nice if there would be any setting in BootIt Bare Metal AND/OR in BIOS, to help and correct this

I wrote my question here because I found no results come back via Google on error 3F0 in relation with Terabyte Unlimited

It seems error 3F0 to be an HP specific code, but I can't say this for shure

The hard disk 3F0 error indicates that your system isn't able to find a boot device. The boot device not found 3F0 error may occur due to various reasons, such as incorrect BIOS boot sequence, hard drive not properly plugged in, a corrupted hard disk partition, etc.Oct 27, 2023

I will also attach two pictures, if forum software will facilitate it, etc …!

Hoping you can find a solution, I wish to Thank You in advance for your Great Software and Ongoing Support!
ministerleery

Re: Boot Device Not Found - 3F0 - on restored partition number 7 and onwards

Post by ministerleery »

The "Use Boot Item Disk IDs" setting might need to be enabled. That may be useful if the sequence is off between restarts.

Another alternative is to look for boot settings in the BIOS that are enabled and avoid initializing disks upon startup. Those frequently act differently in warm and cold footwear. Although their main purpose is to speed up boot-up times, they might present problems if all of the disks must be initialized and accessible before the operating system boots.