What exactly is a normal lock?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pimjoosten

What exactly is a normal lock?

Post by pimjoosten »

In IFW settings both under PHYLock settings as well as VSS settings there is an option “Use If Locking Fails” which is explained in the manual with “Attempt a normal lock and only add the partition to the VSS snapshot if locking fails” for VSS and a similar explanation for PHYLock. A normal lock must thus be related to Windows itself, outside VSS. But what exactly is a normal lock then in Windows? The manual does not explain this and I have unfortunately failed to find an explanation when I searched the web.
Bob Coleman

Re: What exactly is a normal lock?

Post by Bob Coleman »

That's an interesting question. I always thought that either PhyLock or VSS is required to obtain a lock, but I agree that language in the manual seems to imply that there is some other "normal lock" and that PhyLock/VSS needs to be used only if this "normal lock" fails. This is, indeed, quite surprising and confusing. I don't understand it either.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

A normal lock would be one where IFW can obtain exclusive access to the partition. It wouldn't work on a running Windows partition, for example, since it's always being used. It could work on data partitions not being used, no open files, etc. In cases where it can work, an "aggressive lock" may also be necessary (invalidates open handles and forces a dismount).

A normal lock is also the type used in TBWinPE/RE where VSS and PHYLock aren't available. In Windows, it generally easier to just use VSS or PHYLock and not deal with in-use or not situations.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 am In Windows, it generally easier to just use VSS or PHYLock and not deal with in-use or not situations.
Which is what I've always done, but thanks for the information.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 am A normal lock would be one where IFW can obtain exclusive access to the partition. It wouldn't work on a running Windows partition, for example, since it's always being used. It could work on data partitions not being used, no open files, etc. In cases where it can work, an "aggressive lock" may also be necessary (invalidates open handles and forces a dismount).

A normal lock is also the type used in TBWinPE/RE where VSS and PHYLock aren't available. In Windows, it generally easier to just use VSS or PHYLock and not deal with in-use or not situations.
Thanks for the informative explanation.