Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: Laptop crashed, then image restore is failing to boot.

Post by Bob Coleman »

The thoughts I was having a few pages ago which are probably no longer relevant:

Assume one has a computer on which Windows is being booted via BIBM. (I think you did).

Assume one creates a backup/image of only the Windows partition from that computer. (I think you did).

Now assume one starts with a clean disk (new, completely formatted, whatever) and restores just the Windows partition (that's all you have) to that disk.

Ignoring issues of different hardware, can one expect the restored Windows partition to boot on its own or has the use of BIBM and Boot Items changed something that makes the Windows partition no longer able to boot without some assistance from BIBM?

I really don't know the answer, but the intervening discussion seems to imply that the answer is, or should be, yes, it can be expected to boot on its own.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

The image that I had working was from 7/2019, but as I mentioned in another thread, I am not able to get the Windows 10 22H2 upgrade installed (tried many times).

I have another, newer image from 2021, and I was hoping that if I could get that working, the time gap between the image date and now would be less.

However, I've been trying to get the 2021 image working using OSDtool. I can get the restored image to boot, but after a while (maybe a minute or so) the Windows freezes. I've tried re-restoring, etc. but that always happens, so I am going back to the 7/28/2019 image now I think but I'll be stuck at Windows 10 1809, it seems :(...

If anyone has any idea why that 2021 image would freeze like that, let me know?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

boot to safe mode. you can also wait longer to see if it eventually comes up (also if multiple monitors, ensure it's not on the other one).
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi - BTW, I never figured out how to enable safe mode in OSDtool.

Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Use the "Configure Boot" option in OSDTool or run the FixBoot script directly.

I think the options you would want to use are the "Enable Advanced Options" and "Use Legacy Boot Policy" and then you should be able to press F8 on boot-up to get the menu that boots in Safe Mode.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Ok, thanks - I thought there was going to be something that said enable safe mode specifically. I'll give that a try later.

Jim