TBWinPE Error:3...what?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
n2thewormhole

TBWinPE Error:3...what?

Post by n2thewormhole »

I never encountered this error in my other builds...last one being June/July. I just happen to use the usb that had the last build for another purpose(transfer some files) and then come back and re-build winpe. Then I got the error: 3 "Could not "mount" the winpe.wim" something about a "Path could not be found..." in essence. So I wondered what changed?? It seems TBWinPE was "updated" in late August to v1.9 although v1.8(?) worked without a hitch for me. Boy! I need to start archiving a "previous" version when forced to use "current" version. Even the Terabyte ftp download site didn't carry the previous version(1.8)... really? Long story short.. I wanted to do a restore this weekend and now it looks like I have to wait for a fix! Just fishing.. but does anybody know where I can get my hands on v1.8 until this is resolved??

Specs: Win 8.1 Pro x64 with all updates.. other than MSFT updates all programs/system files are the same! before and after the v1.9 update.

TKA
TeraByte Support

Re: TBWinPE Error:3...what?

Post by TeraByte Support »

maybe you meant to use TBWinRE instead of TBWinPE?
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/

"n2thewormhole" wrote in message news:8983@public.image...

I never encountered this error in my other builds...last one being
June/July. I just happen to use the usb that had the last build for another
purpose(transfer some files) and then come back and re-build winpe. Then I
got the error: 3 "Could not "mount" the winpe.wim" something about a "Path
could not be found..." in essence. So I wondered what changed?? It seems
TBWinPE was "updated" in late August to v1.9 although v1.8(?) worked without
a hitch for me. Boy! I need to start archiving a "previous" version when
forced to use "current" version. Even the Terabyte ftp download site didn't
carry the previous version(1.8)... really? Long story short.. I wanted to do
a restore this weekend and now it looks like I have to wait for a fix! Just
fishing.. but does anybody know where I can get my hands on v1.8 until this
is resolved??

Specs: Win 8.1 Pro x64 with all updates.. other than MSFT updates all
programs/system files are the same! before and after the v1.9 update.

TKA

n2thewormhole

Post by n2thewormhole »

No, I meant TBWinPE ,because for me, it's much more versatile(eg. build x86 or x64 based on Win 7,8,8.1 etc..). Any solutions/suggestions for the problem with my "preferred" boot-media winpe?

Thanks for replying

TeraByte Support wrote:
> maybe you meant to use TBWinRE instead of TBWinPE?
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/
>
>
>
> "n2thewormhole" wrote in message news:8983@public.image...
>
> I never encountered this error in my other builds...last one being
> June/July. I just happen to use the usb that had the last build for another
>
> purpose(transfer some files) and then come back and re-build winpe. Then I
>
> got the error: 3 "Could not "mount" the winpe.wim" something about a "Path
>
> could not be found..." in essence. So I wondered what changed?? It seems
> TBWinPE was "updated" in late August to v1.9 although v1.8(?) worked
> without
> a hitch for me. Boy! I need to start archiving a "previous" version when
> forced to use "current" version. Even the Terabyte ftp download site didn't
>
> carry the previous version(1.8)... really? Long story short.. I wanted to
> do
> a restore this weekend and now it looks like I have to wait for a fix! Just
>
> fishing.. but does anybody know where I can get my hands on v1.8 until this
>
> is resolved??
>
> Specs: Win 8.1 Pro x64 with all updates.. other than MSFT updates all
> programs/system files are the same! before and after the v1.9 update.
>
> TKA
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

There were no changes between v1.8 and v1.9 that would affect mounting the winpe.wim file. Can you provide more details on your setup and the exact error message(s)? Script output, the path being used for the TBWinPE build files, the AIK/ADK being used, etc.

For the mount error, make sure that the "mount" folder (C:\TBWinPE\mount, for example) is empty before running the script. Mounting will fail if the folder isn't empty. You could also try creating the build in a new folder (C:\TBWinPE-new, for example).

If you have a backup of the complete v1.8 TBWinPE build folder you could restore that folder (can be to an alternate location) and run MakeDisk to create the UFD.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I can't offer anything on the actual problem, but regarding "I wanted to do a restore this weekend and now it looks like I have to wait for a fix!", can't you use IFD or IFL to do the restore?
n2thewormhole

Post by n2thewormhole »

Just to outline my set-up... using [Win 8.1 Pro x64], [WAIK 3.1(Win7) for wireless support], path for build C:TBWinPE. Everything is in their "default" location. I did do little digging in the TBWinPE script and something is puzzling me. Look at this sequence:

1.) copy "!winpesource!\winpe.wim" "ISO\sources\boot.wim" > nul

2.) "%dismpath%\Dism" /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"ISO\sources\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"mount"

3.) Script output on error...

Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Error: Unable to mount winpe.wim.

Script aborted.

If the name of "winpe.wim" is CHANGED to "boot-wim" then WHY is Dism trying to mount winpe.wim?? At this point Dism would NEVER find it because it doesn't exist.
I have a strong suspicion that's why you get the output "....cannot find the path specified."

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> There were no changes between v1.8 and v1.9 that would affect mounting the
> winpe.wim file. Can you provide more details on your setup and the exact
> error message(s)? Script output, the path being used for the TBWinPE build
> files, the AIK/ADK being used, etc.
>
> For the mount error, make sure that the "mount" folder
> (C:\TBWinPE\mount, for example) is empty before running the script.
> Mounting will fail if the folder isn't empty. You could also try creating
> the build in a new folder (C:\TBWinPE-new, for example).
>
> If you have a backup of the complete v1.8 TBWinPE build folder you could
> restore that folder (can be to an alternate location) and run MakeDisk to
> create the UFD.
n2thewormhole

Post by n2thewormhole »

Yeah, I want to but I don't have to this weekend just trying to get it done before Thanksgiving. DOS is just out of the question and Linux(which I tied before) has crap! drivers for my radio.. c'mon MAX g for a n adapter last I checked..Bye-Bye. I guess the moral here is that there's ALWAYS a reason people have a "preference".. mine---> Functionality! ;)

Bob Coleman wrote:
> I can't offer anything on the actual problem, but regarding "I wanted
> to do a restore this weekend and now it looks like I have to wait for a
> fix!", can't you use IFD or IFL to do the restore?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It would appear that it's having a problem finding the ISO path. Can you try deleting the C:\TBWinPE\ISO folder and then running the script? (If you've copied anything into this folder you want to keep make a copy of it first so you can copy it back later.) If this doesn't work, please note the contents of the ISO folder. It may also be helpful to see the entire output from the script. You can copy the text from the Command Prompt window by right-clicking it, selecting "Select All", and pressing Enter to copy it to the clipboard.

You didn't list it, but does the script display a "--[ Mount Error ]----" message and make a second attempt to mount the WIM (including a clean-up)? It would be between the "The DISM log..." line and the "Error: Unable to mount winpe.wim." line.

Have you tried creating a new/clean build in a different folder?

Regarding the error message, the script is trying to mount boot.wim. The error message just reports winpe.wim (the original name).
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

If you're not that concerned about doing a restore right now, fine, but why is DOS just out of the question? Image for DOS (IFD) is completely self contained, has a GUI, is pretty straightforward and does nothing except create and restore images.

More or less the same thing can be said about Image for Linux (IFL). You don't have to install Linux. Just create an IFL boot disc, boot it and use it's GUI to restore.

I'd argue that IFD might be slightly the more straightforward of the two to use.

If you'd rather fight with TBWinPE, fine, but I think you may be too quickly dismissing perfectly viable, simple to use alternatives.
TAC109

Post by TAC109 »

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:42:40 PST, Bob Coleman wrote:

>If you're not that concerned about doing a restore right now, fine, but why is DOS just out of the question? Image for DOS (IFD) is completely self contained, has a GUI, is pretty straightforward and does nothing except create and restore images.
>
>More or less the same thing can be said about Image for Linux (IFL). You don't have to install Linux. Just create an IFL boot disc, boot it and use it's GUI to restore.
>
>I'd argue that IFD might be slightly the more straightforward of the two to use.
>
>If you'd rather fight with TBWinPE, fine, but I think you may be too quickly dismissing perfectly viable, simple to use alternatives.
>
It looks like n2thewormhole wants to restore over a fast WiFi
connection.