Creating BartPE boot disk

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
nrd

Creating BartPE boot disk

Post by nrd »

I am new user of Image for Windows, but I am falling at the first test – I cannot create a BartPE boot disc including Image for Windows using the instructions at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... ndows.html

I am using Windows 7.

At first following those instructions failed because PE Builder couldn’t find LSANS.TTF and three other font files in C:\i386. I found those elsewhere and copied them there so the build ran OK.

When I booted from the BartPE disc, instead of showing me Image for Windows, it asked me to insert an XP CD.

What have I done wrong?

NRD
mjnelson99

Re: Creating BartPE boot disk

Post by mjnelson99 »

I understood that BartPE would not work with Win 7.
Maybe my understanding is incorrect?
Mary

On 8/1/2014 6:38 PM, nrd wrote:
> I am new user of Image for Windows, but I am falling at the first test -

I cannot create a BartPE boot disc including Image for Windows using the
instructions at
>
> [
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... ndows.html
> ](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/Image%20for%20Windows%20-%20Creating%20a%20BartPE%20Disk%20Containing%20Image%20for%20Windows.html)
>
> I am using Windows 7.
>
> At first following those instructions failed because PE Builder couldn't find LSANS.TTF and three other font files in C:\i386. I found those elsewhere and copied them there so the build ran OK.
>
> When I booted from the BartPE disc, instead of showing me Image for Windows, it asked me to insert an XP CD.
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> NRD
>
>
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is there a specific reason you're trying to create a BartPE IFW CD instead of using TBWinRE (based on WinRE included with Windows 7).
nrd

Post by nrd »

No specific reason - I just have no idea what I am doing here, and such instructions as I could find seemed to say that was what I needed to do.
I will try to make this TBWinRE thing instead - thanks.

Is there a really simple, unambiguous beginner's guide somewhere? Something that says what I need to do to use Image for Windows to make a backup copy of my Windows 7 drive, and how to restore it? I've waded through the manual and the online tutorials, but those seem to present loads of options, with no clear statement on which option is right. I've obviously chosen the wrong option in bartPE.
nrd

Post by nrd »

mjnelson99 wrote:
> I understood that BartPE would not work with Win 7.
> Maybe my understanding is incorrect?

I expect you are right, Mary. I'm finding it all very confusing - I was just following the instructions at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... ackup.html which say to "Use the tutorial, “Creating a BartPE Boot Disk containing Image for Windows” to create the BartPE boot disk and boot your computer with it."
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 00:33:05 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
nrd disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Is there a really simple, unambiguous beginner's guide somewhere? Something that says what I need to do to use Image for Windows to make a backup copy of my Windows 7 drive, and how to restore it? I've waded through the manual and the online tutorials, but those seem to present loads of options, with no clear statement on which option is right.

You have just hit upon the same issue that I have with the TBU
documentation. Lots of how to do stuff but very little as to why one
would want to do it.

I have changed very few of the default options. Everything you need to
know is in the first 14 pages of the manual. As you get used to the
program, you will be tempted to explore various options. You just have
to ask here and we will be glad to help.

I do not bother with any of the various boot disks at all. I can do
what I need to without them. As they are quite popular, I really must
check out why some day.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
nrd

Post by nrd »

Thanks for the support. I have now managed to get Image for Windows working, have successfully tested it with a restore to a spare HDD I had here. Now I have taken the hit of the pain on getting started, I shall buy it and stick with it.

FWIW, here is what I think I have discovered about how to make it work for Windows 7:
- Ignore the instructions to create a BartPE boot disc. That seems to work only if your original HDD is Win XP.
- Create the TBWinRE boot disc. I think I did that from the Start menu hierarchy for TeraByte > Image for Windows
- Boot into the TBWinRE environment from that disc to do the backup to a local USB drive
- Also boot into TBWinRE to restore from that USB drive
- Always plug in the USB drive before booting to TBWinRE, otherwise Image won't find it.

DrTeeth wrote:
> I do not bother with any of the various boot disks at all. I can do
> what I need to without them.
Can I ask what your process for doing a restore of an image to a new HDD is, in that case? The only way I could see it working was to plug in the virgin drive, then boot into TBWinRE from the boot DVD.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 08:42:03 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
nrd disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> Now I have taken the hit of the pain on getting started, I shall buy it and stick with it.
That is the best decision that you will ever take in your life. TBU
keeps on updating and does not bring in major versions for a long
time. I have the full range of TBU software and use it daily. Support
is top hole too. Welcome on board.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nrd wrote:

> FWIW, here is what I think I have discovered about how to make it work for Windows 7:
> - Ignore the instructions to create a BartPE boot disc. That seems to work only if
> your original HDD is Win XP.
> - Create the TBWinRE boot disc. I think I did that from the Start menu hierarchy
> for TeraByte > Image for Windows
> - Boot into the TBWinRE environment from that disc to do the backup to a local USB
> drive
> - Also boot into TBWinRE to restore from that USB drive
> - Always plug in the USB drive before booting to TBWinRE, otherwise Image won't find
> it.
>

While that's probably a workable approach, there should be no need to boot into TBWinRE to do the backup. Just run IFW from Windows.

As for doing the restore, I don't know what to recommend because I don't know what you have. If you only have IFW, what you say may be the best, or only, way to do the restore. If you have IFL or IFD, the latter possibly included in BIBM, my personal taste is to use one of them for restores just because I see no need to, or value in, creating a TBWinRE boot disc. There may be a good reason to use one that I haven't yet discovered.
nrd

Post by nrd »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> there should be no need to boot into
> TBWinRE to do the backup. Just run IFW from Windows.
I feel much more comfortable taking the backup while the source drive isn't changing. I understand that PhyLock says is handles that, but I prefer not to risk it.

> If you have IFL or IFD, the latter possibly included in BIBM, my personal
> taste is to use one of them for restores just because I see no need to, or value in,
> creating a TBWinRE boot disc. There may be a good reason to use one that I haven't
> yet discovered.
I don't know what BIBM is.
Assuming IFL and IFD mean Image for Linux and Image for DOS, I think those are bundled with Image for Windows. However, what do you boot to to be able to use them?
If you'vemjust put a virgin drive into a PC to restore the backup to, you have to boot to *something*, surely?
I read the instructions on the Terabyte website (plus the email I later got from support, when I reported that the Bart thing didn't work) as saying that for a Windows 7 image you use a TBWinRE boot disc.