IFL_midnight commander

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
molecule

IFL_midnight commander

Post by molecule »

just curious if anyone else has had this problem, or if they know of a workaround ...

using midnight commander, first I let IFL finish, then close IFL to release any partitions that it mounted. Then I mount the target partition which is sda5 (1st sata HDD, 1st logical partition in extended partition, formatted as NTFS), then I migrate left panel to root\tbu\mnt1 (from memory, so sorry if it's different) ... then migrate to target folder

sometimes MC doesn't show the most recent backup file xx.tbi. I can't find a refresh button. I'm pretty sure I had closed ILF to release the device.

Also sometimes, it seems IFL finishes, but doesn't leave a file in the target directory, or its parent directory, which it did once? I'm using v1.74.

Suggestion ... It would be nice if a user like me had the ability to see assigned NTFS volume names ... I depend on those. The Windows CDE-file convention is total annoyance. If deprecating volume names, then std GParted schema where primary parts are 1234, and first logical partition inside an extended partition starts at 5.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL_midnight commander

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

molecule wrote:
> just curious if anyone else has had this problem, or if they know of a
> workaround ...
>
> using midnight commander, first I let IFL finish, then close IFL to release
> any partitions that it mounted. Then I mount the target partition which is
> sda5 (1st sata HDD, 1st logical partition in extended partition, formatted
> as NTFS), then I migrate left panel to root\tbu\mnt1 (from memory, so sorry
> if it's different) ... then migrate to target folder
>
> sometimes MC doesn't show the most recent backup file xx.tbi. I can't find
> a refresh button. I'm pretty sure I had closed ILF to release the device.

You mean the file does turn out to be there, but doesn't show up when you initially look for it in 'mc'?
In any case, the key combo of <Ctrl+R> will refresh the list of files in the 'mc' active panel (left or right panel)

>
> Also sometimes, it seems IFL finishes, but doesn't leave a file in the
> target directory, or its parent directory, which it did once? I'm using
> v1.74.

I think you mean IFL 2.74 right? If so, that version is about 3 yrs old, so you may want to try updating to the current version (2.97c). Just doing that may resolve some/all of the issues. Registered users can updated to the latest version at no cost at any time from the Product Download page here:
https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php

>
> Suggestion ... It would be nice if a user like me had the ability to see
> assigned NTFS volume names ... I depend on those. The Windows CDE-file
> convention is total annoyance. If deprecating volume names, then std
> GParted schema where primary parts are 1234, and first logical partition
> inside an extended partition starts at 5.

You can see a list of all partitions along with their volume names, etc by using the 'blkid' command at a Linux prompt. If you just want to list the NTFS ones, you can use 'blkid | grep ntfs' instead.