IFD Random System Freeze

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tas3086

IFD Random System Freeze

Post by tas3086 »

Unfortunately I updated the Asrock system bios, Intel system INF and Intel Management Engine drivers and latest IFD update at the same time. Since that time, I get occasional system freezes when running an IFD backup. (system freeze => no mouse, KB, reset button operation. Only power off works)

My script backs up 8 partitions. the freeze can happen randomly in any 1 of the backups, and at any position well within the backup operation. I have tried running in direct and bios access modes, both can freeze the system. All drives are ACHI Sata on Intel series 9 controller(s) and Asrock z97 Extreme6 Motherboard.

I have converted over to IFW backups, but would prefer to go back to IFD when my problem is resolved.

Any suggestions on where to start the diagnostic process? Is there any logging operation that may help localize the problem. I am assuming that the bios and IFD updates are the only updates that would affect the freeze happening in DOS. Asrock states that the bios update was for "Adjust AHCI MMIO setting"
TeraByte Support

Re: IFD Random System Freeze

Post by TeraByte Support »

may want to reset bios to default or optimal values.

or downgrade the bios if allowed.

"tas3086" wrote in message news:9322@public.image...

Unfortunately I updated the Asrock system bios, Intel system INF and Intel
Management Engine drivers and latest IFD update at the same time. Since
that time, I get occasional system freezes when running an IFD backup.
(system freeze => no mouse, KB, reset button operation. Only power off
works)

My script backs up 8 partitions. the freeze can happen randomly in any 1 of
the backups, and at any position well within the backup operation. I have
tried running in direct and bios access modes, both can freeze the system.
All drives are ACHI Sata on Intel series 9 controller(s) and Asrock z97
Extreme6 Motherboard.

I have converted over to IFW backups, but would prefer to go back to IFD
when my problem is resolved.

Any suggestions on where to start the diagnostic process? Is there any
logging operation that may help localize the problem. I am assuming that the
bios and IFD updates are the only updates that would affect the freeze
happening in DOS. Asrock states that the bios update was for "Adjust AHCI
MMIO setting"

mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Is it worth testing how IFL might work for you?
Mary

On 2/3/2015 10:42 PM, tas3086 wrote:
> Unfortunately I updated the Asrock system bios, Intel system INF and Intel Management Engine drivers and latest IFD update at the same time. Since that time, I get occasional system freezes when running an IFD backup. (system freeze => no mouse, KB, reset button operation. Only power off works)
>
> My script backs up 8 partitions. the freeze can happen randomly in any 1 of the backups, and at any position well within the backup operation. I have tried running in direct and bios access modes, both can freeze the system. All drives are ACHI Sata on Intel series 9 controller(s) and Asrock z97 Extreme6 Motherboard.
>
> I have converted over to IFW backups, but would prefer to go back to IFD when my problem is resolved.
>
> Any suggestions on where to start the diagnostic process? Is there any logging operation that may help localize the problem. I am assuming that the bios and IFD updates are the only updates that would affect the freeze happening in DOS. Asrock states that the bios update was for "Adjust AHCI MMIO setting"
>
>
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

How about trying the previous version of IFD? If that fails that at least tends to eliminate one of the list of "updated too many things at once".
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I downgraded the Asrock bios from 1.70 to 1.60 and eventually to 1.40 where the problem went away.
Contacted Asrock and told them the problem and solution, and they replied that "DOS is not supported by the motherboard", and that I should request a refund from the Frys Electronics. :roll:
Linux isn't supported either, but DOS Linux and Windows has always worked ! So there !!!