TBIView extract failing on bad filename

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
T-Rhex

TBIView extract failing on bad filename

Post by T-Rhex »

Hello,

I'm trying to extract the "Documents and Settings" folder and all subdirs from an image file using TBIView 4.26.0. The image was made with IFD 2.66. At some point it hits a file with a bad name (not sure where it came from, but it's an IE favorite with a lot of "?" in the name) and errors out; I'm unable to extract anything past that point unless I were to extract every folder manually. I tried to mount it as a drive letter, but the user folder (ie. "Documents and Settings\user") is completely inaccessible -- I'm guessing because it has a password login?

Is there a way around this bad file?

Thanks,
tr
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: TBIView extract failing on bad filename

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

"Documents and Settings" is a junction that points to C:\Users. Look in the \Users\username\... folders for the files. For example, if you mounted the partition to M:, look in M:\Users\username.
T-Rhex

Post by T-Rhex »

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention this is WinXP, there is no c:\users.

I discovered the source of the bad filename: it was a link that was named in another character set. I was able to rename it under safe mode (I couldn't boot normally, which was why I was trying to get these files from the image), then take another image. The result works fine, just was a bit slow since an image takes 1 hour (including validation, of course).

I was thinking, though, that TBIView shouldn't fail when trying to extract a bad filename (or on a file it cannot extract); could it not just log the error and continue?

Thanks again.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

yes, have todo note to make it continue when possible.
T-Rhex

Post by T-Rhex »

Cool, thanks. Excellent products, by the way. I've been happily using IFD/IFW since 2006.
tr