Creating BartPE boot disk

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
DrTeeth

Re: Creating BartPE boot disk

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 02:13:11 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
nrd disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I feel much more comfortable taking the backup while the source drive isn't changing. I understand that PhyLock says is handles that, but I prefer not to risk it.

There is nothing to risk, it works perfectly.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 02:13:11 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
nrd disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Assuming IFL and IFD mean Image for Linux and Image for DOS, I think those are bundled with Image for Windows. However, what do you boot to to be able to use them?
They are self contained booting disks that boot into IfL or IfD
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
nrd

Post by nrd »

DrTeeth wrote:

> They are self contained booting disks that boot into IfL or IfD
Are we at crossed purposes? I didn't get any discs - I just downloaded the software and installed it on my Windows 7 PC. From there I created the Bart PE disc, which didn't work, and then the TBWinRE disc, which did.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Use makdedisk.exe to create your boot media. You can use USB devices on
most computers or CD or DVDs.

I like using IFL rather than IFD. Your choice.
Mary

On 8/3/2014 6:26 AM, nrd wrote:
> DrTeeth wrote:
>
>> They are self contained booting disks that boot into IfL or IfD
> Are we at crossed purposes? I didn't get any discs - I just downloaded the software and installed it on my Windows 7 PC. From there I created the Bart PE disc, which didn't work, and then the TBWinRE disc, which did.
>
>
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nrd wrote:
> Bob Coleman wrote:
> > there should be no need to boot into
> > TBWinRE to do the backup. Just run IFW from Windows.
> I feel much more comfortable taking the backup while the source drive isn't changing.
> I understand that PhyLock says is handles that, but I prefer not to risk it.

I sympathize. It took me a long time to not feel the same way.

>
> > If you have IFL or IFD, the latter possibly included in BIBM, my personal
> > taste is to use one of them for restores just because I see no need to, or value
> in,
> > creating a TBWinRE boot disc. There may be a good reason to use one that I
> haven't
> > yet discovered.
> I don't know what BIBM is.

BIBM (BootIt Bare Metal) is another Terabyte product, primarily a boot manager, but IFD comes with it. Obviously, you don't have BIBM, so let's forget about that.

> Assuming IFL and IFD mean Image for Linux and Image for DOS, I think those are
> bundled with Image for Windows.

Apparently so. I just read on the Terabyte web site:

"Bonus: Every purchase of Image for Windows includes a copy of Image for DOS and Image for Linux".

>However, what do you boot to to be able to use them?
> If you'vemjust put a virgin drive into a PC to restore the backup to, you have to
> boot to *something*, surely?

I had Image for DOS before I had Image for Windows. The IFD download included Makedisk.exe which is used to create an IFD boot disc.

Now, when I install IFW, some of the several options offered are to create the boot discs for IFD and/or IFW. I forget the exact wording.

Choosing these options will cause makedisk to be run to create the IFD and/or IFL boot discs.

Personal preference only, but I just feel the creation of these discs is quicker and more straightforward than the creation of a TBWinRE disc and also that they, especially IFD, are much quicker to boot.

If you maintain the unwillingness to create backups using a running Windows system, which I understand, there's not really much point in having IFW. You might as well use IFD or IFL to create as well as restore the backups.

> I read the instructions on the Terabyte website (plus the email I later got from
> support, when I reported that the Bart thing didn't work) as saying that for a
> Windows 7 image you use a TBWinRE boot disc.
nrd

Post by nrd »

Thanks, both. I still feel like I'm groping in the dark a bit here, because IIUC I *am* using MakeDisk to create my current boot disc. I haven't really yet got my head around how using the Linux version rather than Windows version is my choice, as I only have Windows PCs.
I'll go away and think about this. Right now I have a working system, using TBWinRE for my PC with a DVD drive. I need to work out what I can do for the laptop that doesn't have that.

> If you maintain the unwillingness to create backups using a running Windows system, which I understand,
> there's not really much point in having IFW. You might as well use IFD or IFL to create as well as restore
> the backups.
What is the advantage to doing that over using Image for Windows?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nrd wrote:
> Thanks, both. I still feel like I'm groping in the dark a bit here, because IIUC I
> *am* using MakeDisk to create my current boot disc.

If you mean the TBWinRE disc, I don't think so, but I confess I haven't made one often enough to be sure.

>I haven't really yet got my head
> around how using the Linux version rather than Windows version is my choice, as I
> only have Windows PCs.

If you boot an IFL boot disc, it boots a completely stand alone Linux containing Image for Linux. What the PC usually runs is irrelevant.

> I'll go away and think about this. Right now I have a working system, using TBWinRE
> for my PC with a DVD drive. I need to work out what I can do for the laptop that
> doesn't have that.
>
> > If you maintain the unwillingness to create backups using a running Windows
> system, which I understand,
> > there's not really much point in having IFW. You might as well use IFD or IFL to
> create as well as restore
> > the backups.
> What is the advantage to doing that over using Image for Windows?

I'd turn the question around. What's the advantage of using Image for Windows if you're not going to use Windows. In my opinion, the only advantage of using Image for Windows is using it in Windows. Given that you've already bought Image for Windows, this becomes just a matter of personal preference as I stated when discussing restores.

Again, I personally find IFD and IFL boot media more convenient to create and use than TBWinRE boot media. If you're happy with TBWinRE, there is no other advantage that I'm aware of in not using it.