Not sure what a .#0 file is ?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
gbhall

Not sure what a .#0 file is ?

Post by gbhall »

I have only done a differential backup (IFW) once before, and it went just as I would expect. Although it does not seem to reduce the time taken at all, it does usefully reduce the space taken.

So I decided I would in future do a full backup before MS monthly patch, and a differential immediately after. Doing that just today, instead of a single differential file, I have two, one called IFW-Win7-025-DIFF.TBI (the name I specified), and another called IFW-Win7-025-DIFF.#0

What happened ?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Not sure what a .#0 file is ?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The time taken for a differential can vary depending on the amount of data backed up, which options are selected, etc.

The .#0 file is the hash file and is created if the "Speed up Changes Only Backup" option is enabled. In your scenario you would want to use this option when creating the Full image to speed up making the differentials based on it.
gbhall

Post by gbhall »

Thank you. I almost understand now. Also found it in the IFW manual p42 of 200 !!

It is not quite clear when to use the 'speed up changes only' option. I have used it twice, when making a differential backup, and it makes no noticeable difference. Is this because one needs to use the option when making a full backup only, or full backup AND differential ? The manual is not specific.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It will speed up changes only backups that will be based on the backup being created. If creating a full backup that will be the base image for differential backups enable the option. If creating a chain of incremental backups you would want it enabled on every backup.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 01:33:24 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
gbhall disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Is this because one needs to use the option when making a full backup only, or full backup AND differential ? The manual is not specific.

The speedup will only work when creating a differential for which
there is the hash file present for the full backup on which it is
based. The differential needs the hash file if you are to create an
incremental backup on a given differential.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.