Registered Bare Metal Installation failure?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Ger

Registered Bare Metal Installation failure?

Post by Ger »

Hi,
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion 10 TouchSmart Notebook PC model No 10 - e010sa with 64 bit Windows 8.1 Update O/S loaded. I have been able activate Legacy support in the Bios and set USB CD/DVD Rom drive first in both the UEFI and Legacy Boot order. I have recently upgraded o Bare Metal and I have been able to boot from the CD and changed the Windows partition size, Copy and Paste in to the free space with a view to having two choices to boot from. My problem is that I am unable to install Bare Metal on the system, it can't find a suitable partition to load and it won't let me choose one. What am i doing wrong? I've looked at various forum messages and watched some Tutorial Videos but I'm clearly missing something. I have used BootIt NG for years without a hitch, so I'm surprised I can't sort this out myself - any help would be appreciated,
Many thanks
Ger.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Registered Bare Metal Installation failure?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is the disk type GPT? If so, you'd need to convert it to MBR (or EMBR) before BIBM can be installed.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=580
Ger

Post by Ger »

Hi Paul, thank you for your reply and the link to the instructions relating to Converting a GPT Data or Windows Disk to MBR/EMBR. I followed the instructions correctly (as far as I'm aware) but had no success - the following message appeared when I rebooted the system.
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
File:\Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xc000000f

During the process outlined in your instructions, I did experience a couple of anomalies.
When I selected the Change disk type option, I chose EMBR but when I tried to set the Windows partition as active, there was no EMBR option available, so I applied the Change Disk Type option to MBR instead at which point I was able to set the Windows partition to active and then proceeded as follows:

I ran the dir /a C:\Boot\BCD command and received the 'File Not Found' response.
Next I ran the bcdboot C:\Windows /S C: command and received the 'Boot files successfully created' response. I immediately ran the dir /a C:\Boot\BCD again, yet I still got the 'File Not Found' response.
My original OEM configuration was as listed here:

WINRE Partition 400 MB HPFS/NTFS
EFI system partition 260 MB EFI Entry
Microsoft Reserve Partition 128 MB GPT Entry
Windows Partition 459966 MB HPFS/NTFS
Recovery Partition 16185 MB HPFS/NTFS

I removed them In the order as described in your instructions, leaving only the 'Windows Partition', which I also applied the Slide operation so there was no free space before It. Having now loaded the Windows repair media and installed Bare Metal, I now have the following:

Windows Partition 459966 MB HPFS/NTFS
Boot EMBR Partition 5 MB BootIt EMBR
---------- Partition 717 MB Free Space
BootIt Partition 66 MB Fat - 32
Recovery Partition 16185 MB HPFS/NTFS

I'd be grateful If you would advise me how to remedy the problem(s) so that I can boot the system correctly.

Many thanks
Ger
TeraByte Support(PP)

I assume the system is booting properly to BIBM at this point.

Have you created/checked the BIBM boot item for Windows? I would verify that the Windows partition is correctly set active. Look at the MBR in Partition Work and also make sure the boot item has the Windows partition set as the boot partition.

When you're booted to the Windows repair media run the bcdboot command again. Make sure to use the drive letter assigned to the Windows partition (might not be C:). You may also need to for Legacy mode files if it's not properly detected. For example, assuming the Windows drive is C: when booted to the repair media:
bcdboot C:\Windows /S C: /F BIOS
Ger

Post by Ger »

Thank you for your reply, I executed the C:\Windows /S C: /F BIOS as you suggested, rebooted and all was fine.
I have another problem however, after getting the C: drive to boot normally, I decided to resize the partition to 60 GB and copied and pasted this partition in to the free space and created a Data partition (HPFS/NTFS) with rest of the free space. I am now able to boot in to both partitions, but I am unable to see the Data partition after fully booting in either, even though I have 'Filled' it in the respective MBR column. The other strange development is that the original C: drive is still 449GB according to the operating system Disk Management and the copied partition is 58.5 GB. Any Ideas where I've gone wrong? Thanks for your patience.
Many thanks Ger.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

Are you using more than 4 primary partitions?
Mary

On 4/14/2014 7:44 AM, Ger wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, I executed the C:\Windows /S C: /F BIOS as you suggested, rebooted and all was fine.
> I have another problem however, after getting the C: drive to boot normally, I decided to resize the partition to 60 GB and copied and pasted this partition in to the free space and created a Data partition (HPFS/NTFS) with rest of the free space. I am now able to boot in to both partitions, but I am unable to see the Data partition after fully booting in either, even though I have 'Filled' it in the respective MBR column. The other strange development is that the original C: drive is still 449GB according to the operating system Disk Management and the copied partition is 58.5 GB. Any Ideas where I've gone wrong? Thanks for your patience.
> Many thanks Ger.
>
>
Ger

Post by Ger »

Hi Mary, to be honest, I'm not sure whether they're primary partitions or not, but since you've brought it up, I suspect they might be - I have 5 Partitions 2 Windows 8 (Working) BootIt EMBRM, and BootIt along with the unseen Data partition. This is all as is listed in the 'Work with partitions', in the EMBR window.
Due to the problems installing BM as outlined at the start of this thread, I may have overlooked something as I intended to allow for more than 4 primary partitions. Question is, where do I go from here?
Many thanks,
Ger
TeraByte Support(PP)

If you boot to BIBM and try to resize the Windows partition does it report any errors? You could try resizing it just a bit smaller and then see if Windows will pick it up correctly. Don't attempt to resize it using Window Disk Management.

For the Data partition, does it not show up at all in Disk Management or does it show up but have no drive letter?
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

I was wondering if he previously used Windows to resize with more than 4
primaries with possible overlapping?
Mary

On 4/14/2014 12:49 PM, PP wrote:
> If you boot to BIBM and try to resize the Windows partition does it report any errors? You could try resizing it just a bit smaller and then see if Windows will pick it up correctly. Don't attempt to resize it using Window Disk Management.
>
> For the Data partition, does it not show up at all in Disk Management or does it show up but have no drive letter?
>
>
Ger

Post by Ger »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> If you boot to BIBM and try to resize the Windows partition does it report
> any errors? You could try resizing it just a bit smaller and then see if
> Windows will pick it up correctly. Don't attempt to resize it using Window
> Disk Management.
>
> For the Data partition, does it not show up at all in Disk Management or
> does it show up but have no drive letter?

Hi Paul, as a matter of fact, I did try to resize the original C: partition and make it smaller to see if Windows would pick it up correctly. As soon as I tried, the scan disk for errors error message came up advising me to chkdsk that drive as it had around 90 errors. I booted in to that, partition and as administrator I ran chddsk from the command prompt, which scheduled the scan on my next reboot. As soon as I tried, it came up with the blue screen with Error code: 0xc000000f. At that point I deleted the original partition and copied and pasted the earlier copied partition back and that booted without a problem. To verify that the first partition was ok, I tried to resize it just to see if there were any errors and thankfully it was fine - I cancelled the resize. I then deleted the new Data partition and recreated it as before and it looked good in BM but I still couldn't see it as a partition in either Windows partition or Disk Management interface. So to be clear, I now have two working Windows 8 partitions but neither of them can see the Data partition and it has no entry in Disk management - not even a letter.
I hope I haven't confused you,
Many thanks
Ger
Last edited by Ger on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.