Misplaced step in Image for Linux restoration process??

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Jim22

Misplaced step in Image for Linux restoration process??

Post by Jim22 »

I’m using an ifl boot flash drive to back up and restore. The boot flash drive was made using a recently purchased 2014 ifl bundle using the graphical interface. The computer uses win XP.

The hard drive in my computer has an extended partition with a number of drives in the partition.

As an exercise, I’m attempting to backup and restore one of the drives in the extended partition. If I have problems, Windows should still work, and I have not lost important data.

I had no problems with backup, but one of the steps in the Restore From section seems to really apply to Restore to

The restoration steps are listed below, with the questionable step in cap's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please choose which operation you would like to perform at this time:
Select Operation
Restore

Select
Restore
Normal (other choice is automatic)

Select file access method
Restore from
File (direct)

Select drive interface
Restore from
Linux

Select File drive
Restore from
A table of drives appeared, and I selected the external drive

Restore from
Select file location on. HD6 (39C6736) – Seagate Desktop (sdg)……
Restore from:
There is only one listing, which is correct:
Expansion Drive Partition (01) 11907727 MiB HPFS/NTFS

Select the backup file to restore
Name
A list of all folders and files and folders on the selected drive is provided. I selected the correct .tbi file, and the name appeared in the Name window.

The next step confuses me. It looks like a Restore to step, and should follow such steps as select drive interface and target drive

SELECT ITEM TO PROCESS
RESTORE FROM
THE DRIVE IN MY COMPUTER AND THE DRIVE IN THE EXTENDED PARTITION I'M ATTEMPTING TO BACKUP AND RESTORE ARE LISTED.

Select drive interface
Restore to
Linux

Select target drive
Restore to
A list of drives appears, and I selected the computer drive

Select restore location on HD0……
A list of computer drives and partitions is provided. I selected the proper drive in the extended partition

Warning All data in the following partitions on HD0 will be lost
Correct drive is listed.

I stopped here.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Misplaced step in Image for Linux restoration process??

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The step you've indicated is where you select which partition(s) from the backup you wish to restore. If you only included the one partition that's all that will be available for selection.
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

There's a problem: The listed drive is the one in the computer being backed up, not the external drive that is used to store the partition.
Jim
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I think it's asking you which partition on the drive in the computer you want to restore.

It might be more intuitively obvious if you had included multiple partitions in the image file (backup).

Then you would have selected the image file as you probably did, but at the step you are confused about you would see a list of partitions from the drive in the computer. The list would consist of the partitions that you had backed up and you could choose one or more to restore. In your case, you can only choose one because you only backed up one.
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

i probably was not very clear in my last response

Restore From steps should apply to the external drive containing the image file, and Restore To should apply to the hard drive in the computer that is being restored.

The last Restore From step covers the hard drive in the computer. I can tell by the size 305245 instead of 11907727.

Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

On that screen, you are selecting from the "Drive" contents of the backup .tbi file you selected (not the partitions on the current physical drive).

This is the same type of selection you would see if you run a Validate on the backup file -- you'd have to select which partition(s) to validate from those included in the backup.