EMBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
novice

EMBR

Post by novice »

Hello,

Have 3 hard drives;
HD0; has EMBR with BIBM installed plus some data partitions.
HD1; has 2 Window 8.1 bootable partitions another data partition.
HD2; has 3 data partitions.

If I were to switch HD0 with HD1 would the following be correct?
Change the HD boot sequence in the BIOS.
Make all HD partitions EMBR from MBR.
Re-install BIMB if needed.

Is there a good article on this in TB's help files?

Thanks
Bernard
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: EMBR

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

BIBM requires EMBR on the booting drive and the drive where it's installed so you'd have to at least change HD1 to EMBR (during or before installing BIBM, if reinstalled). HD2 could be left as MBR.

Besides having the Windows drive as the booting drive is there a specific reason you need to change the current booting drive?
novice

Post by novice »

Thanks for the reply.

Thought it might be better for my system to have the boot partition containing OS's to be HD0.
From experience, sometimes the SWAP setting doesn't work and installing an OS from HD0 seems to work more readily.

I also thought that it might be instructive to know that switching drives would work if needed in the future.

Having tried to switch drives on my two computers, I find that the boot sequence of the hard drives in the bios does not always coincide with BIBM for some reason. So, I'll leave that be.
Interesting though anyway.

Bernard
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

When you switched drives did you only switch them in the BIOS (boot order) or did you swap cables? Some systems will always list certain ports before others.

After getting the boot drive set correctly to HD1 you would need to run BIBM setup (just boot to the BIBM installation media). You can either have it create a new BootIt partition on the boot drive or continue using the existing one. If you create a new partition you can just do a normal setup (the drive will be converted to EMBR if necessary). The Windows installations should be found and menu entries created. Verify they're correct before booting (you may need to set visible partitions, etc.).

To continue using the existing BootIt partition on HD1, choose to select the partition yourself instead of letting BIBM setup select it. Select HD0 (this will be the old HD1) and change the disk type to EMBR. Then select HD1 (this will be the old HD0), select the BootIt partition, and then click the Setup button. If setup asks "Would you like setup to assume this drive is the boot drive?" click No. Finish the setup. After rebooting to the BIBM boot menu you'll need to enter maintenance mode and edit the boot items (change the boot drive to 0, select the boot partition, etc.).
novice

Post by novice »

Thanks for the advice and instructions Paul.
This is what I was looking for.

Cheers
Bernard