Win7 stop 0x7b after copying drive and having both in system

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
T-Rhex

Win7 stop 0x7b after copying drive and having both in system

Post by T-Rhex »

Hello.

I had a 256gb SSD drive in my notebook which had the boot partition, the OS, and data.
I used Terabyte IFL to image that drive. I then removed the drive, installed a new 256gb mSata SSD and restored the image to that.
Everything was working fine.

Now I need to put the original 256gb SSD back in the notebook as a second drive, and access the data partition on it. When I tried to boot, I immediately got a BSOD with stop code 0x7b.

I'm now guessing this is because I did not choose to change the disk ID or GUID, or perhaps the volume serial number?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this so I can access the original drive's data partition? Yes, I do have a backup, but before I resort to wiping the drive and restoring the backup, I wondered if there is an easier way to get it running.

Thanks.
tr
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Win7 stop 0x7b after copying drive and having both in sy

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Are the drives MBR or GPT? What version of Windows?

After connecting the old drive did you verify the boot order was still correct (set to boot the new SSD)?

Can you connect it after Windows has booted? For example, hot-plug it (if supported) or connect via USB/eSATA (dock or adaptor). Windows should put the drive offline. Bringing it back online would change the IDs.

Is your backup current? You could use TBIView or TBIMount to copy the data out. This wouldn't require connecting the drive.
T-Rhex

Post by T-Rhex »

Win7 Pro x64
MBR

I verified the boot order is correct; the old bootable drive does not appear in the boot order.
Once I removed the old bootable drive I was able to boot the system on the new one again.
I might be able to connect it after Windows boots, I'll have to free up an external case.
I could just wipe the drive and restore it from backup; I can see the drive both in the bios and in IFL, so I know it's accessible. Would deleting the partitions from within IFL remove the conflict? I was just hoping for a "quick" fix. The external case might be it. Thanks!
T-Rhex

Post by T-Rhex »

I was able to put the SSD in an external case and boot Windows before turning the drive on. Sure enough, Disk Management said the drive was left offline because "The disk signature of disk 1 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0." I put the drive online, deleted the old boot and OS partitions, then reboot the computer. It took a very long time to boot -- so much so that I thought it was hung at the Circle of Death. So I forced it to reboot again, and same Circle but it didn't last as long this time. Then I had all sorts of app startup errors being unable to find correct drives. But the system was working okay. So I reboot again, and everything was fine. It looks like it just took an extremely long while for Windows to do something (like over 10 min.) -- though I couldn't find anything specific in the event logs. (Thought I'd relate that in case anyone else goes through the same process.)

Anyway, it's working now and in the end that was faster than wiping/restoring the drive from backup.

Thanks very much!
tr