Image new system before setup?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
PsychBiller

Image new system before setup?

Post by PsychBiller »

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with a 256GB SSD.

I'd like to image the SSD as it arrived before turning on the system and finishing the OS setup. I have an external DVD drive, an external 3TB drive, and licenses for both BIBM and IFW. Presuming I can boot from the external DVD, can I use a BIBM boot disk to run IFD and image the SSD? Or would I have to remove the SSD from the new laptop and attach it to some other box to image it?

For now, I'm not planning to partition the SSD, though that may come later.

Thanks!
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Image new system before setup?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You should be able to boot from either a CD/DVD or USB media. Personally, I usually use a flash drive since it's quicker to create/update and boot. BIBM/IFD should be okay if the system is not in UEFI mode (unlikely). IFL and TBWinRE/PE generally provide better hardware support and support booting on UEFI systems (for best USB 3 support in WinPE you may need a 8.0/8.1 source).
PsychBiller

Post by PsychBiller »

Thanks, Paul. I suppose I get just one shot to do this properly before the new laptop starts into its setup routine. I'll have to make sure I find out how to force a boot from a flash drive on the very first power up.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

You probably will need to change the boot sequence so watch for how to
access whatever place is needed to do that.

On 3/11/2014 6:52 PM, PsychBiller wrote:
> Thanks, Paul. I suppose I get just one shot to do this

properly before the new laptop starts into its setup routine.

I'll have to make sure I find out how to force a boot from a flash

drive on the very first power up.
>
>