Recovery Partition

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tbifan39

Recovery Partition

Post by tbifan39 »

My laptop has a manufacturer recovery partition. I had an image of this partition. I am wanting to delete it and expand the C partition to the entire drive. How difficult would it be to restore the the recovery partition and then use the partition to restore the C drive, if I decide to get rid of the computer one day? I will probably run DBAN or some other eraser program before restoring to make sure that my data can't be recovered.

I assume that all I will need to do is restore the Recovery partition and run that and it will partition the drive and restore the C partition and all the pre-installed software. The startup screen says to hit F11 to start Recovery. I have never tried this, but I assume it works. Is it really as simple as I think it is? Thanks.

I am currently using Win 8.1 Pro 64. To delete the partition, can I just right-click on the partition (drive management) and select delete. Then slide the C partition to the unused portion of the drive so that the C partition takes up the whole drive. It sounds simple...am I making it more simple than it really is?
tbifan39

Re: Recovery Partition

Post by tbifan39 »

Update - I tried to access recovery manager via F11 and got no response. I am assuming this is because I no longer have the original OS installed. I do have an image of the recovery partition made a few yrs. ago and have several images of the C drive with original OS. I assume that I would be able to wipe drive and use IFL to restore recovery partition and one of the C partition images, then recovery manager will work...but who knows. Odds are I will never do this. I went ahead and deleted the recovery partition - Disk Management > Right-clicked on partition > Delete. I then right-clicked on C partition and selected Expand and chose max size. I now appear to have one partition using the entire drive space.

Btw, I was using TrueCrypt on C partition only. I did decrypt the partition before trying the recovery manager. After I deleted the recovery partition and expanded the C partition, I encrypted the drive again; this time using Whole Drive encryption. Thank you TBI for including TC in IFL. Please don't ever remove it. This is the only imaging software I know that allows the ability to mount drive before imaging so that we only have to image used space. Thanks!
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

If you ever restored an image it might have messed up getting to the
recovery partition.

I cannot access the one I left on my laptop either.
Mary

On 2/17/2014 8:34 PM, tbifan39 wrote:
> Update - I tried to access recovery manager via F11 and got no response. I am assuming this is because I no longer have the original OS installed. I do have an image of the recovery partition made a few yrs. ago and have several images of the C drive with original OS. I assume that I would be able to wipe drive and use IFL to restore recovery partition and one of the C partition images, then recovery manager will work...but who knows. Odds are I will never do this. I went ahead and deleted the recovery partition - Disk Management > Right-clicked on partition > Delete. I then right-clicked on C partition and selected Expand and chose max size. I now appear to have one partition using the entire drive space.
>
> Btw, I was using TrueCrypt on C partition only. I did decrypt the partition before trying the recovery manager. After I deleted the recovery partition and expanded the C partition, I encrypted the drive again; this time using Whole Drive encryption. Thank you TBI for including TC in IFL. Please don't ever remove it. This is the only imaging software I know that allows the ability to mount drive before imaging so that we only have to image used space. Thanks!
>
>
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

typically you can also just boot those partitions... maybe require changing
the file system id.

"tbifan39" wrote in message news:7549@public.image...

Update - I tried to access recovery manager via F11 and got no response. I
am assuming this is because I no longer have the original OS installed. I do
have an image of the recovery partition made a few yrs. ago and have several
images of the C drive with original OS. I assume that I would be able to
wipe drive and use IFL to restore recovery partition and one of the C
partition images, then recovery manager will work...but who knows. Odds are
I will never do this. I went ahead and deleted the recovery partition - Disk
Management > Right-clicked on partition > Delete. I then right-clicked on C
partition and selected Expand and chose max size. I now appear to have one
partition using the entire drive space.

Btw, I was using TrueCrypt on C partition only. I did decrypt the partition
before trying the recovery manager. After I deleted the recovery partition