Main Differences BING vs BareMetal?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
zaaman42

Main Differences BING vs BareMetal?

Post by zaaman42 »

I have a license for IFW 2.0 & BING. Can someone point me to or describe the primary benefits of BareMetal over BING? I've read the features of BareMetal but it's not clear to me if I get a major benefit from upgrading. Are the Win7 features significant? I think the image format is now compatible with IFW 2. I use BING Mainly for partition management, resizing, etc..

Thanks, Alan
Brian K

Re: Main Differences BING vs BareMetal?

Post by Brian K »

Alan,

The differences are huge. There is nothing like seeing for yourself and I suggest you create a BIBM CD and run some tests from the CD until you feel confident enough to install to the HD. On the other hand you may not require the new features.
zaaman42

Post by zaaman42 »

Here is an answer to my own question. Page 8 of the user manual has system requirements and changes from BootitNG. I guess no one still reads the manual:) If anyone knows any more from usage this is a good thread to add it to.

My take:

- No more integrated imaging but includes Image for Dos v2 (better....correct me if I am wrong)
- More direct hardware support
- Less memory limitations
- Support for 16 drives
- Limit primaries is on individual drives not systems
- Can be installed from USB drive
- Other stuff....

For more details/clarification on the above features see the manual link below or by navigating to the support page for BIBM

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... manual.pdf

Your Welcome, Alan
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

There's the inevitable learning curve which I probably haven't completed, but:

The scripting language (which I definitely don't completely understand yet) in a sense supersedes the Bing Image Sets. Coming from another product to Bing, I always regretted that I could not run something which would create images of several partitions into a single image file. Now I can create a script which does that and can therefore use BingBurn to get the most efficient storage of the several image partitions on DVD.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

One other point here. I think the quoted statement "No more integrated imaging but includes Image for Dos v2" is unnecessarily alarming for anyone considering the switch.

Imaging may, in some technical sense, not be integrated, but, as stated, Image for DOS is included. Furthermore, it's available via a Disk Imaging icon on the BIBM desktop, so it still feels integrated.