Which Terabyte product manages partitions-OK but Messy

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
ronk

Which Terabyte product manages partitions-OK but Messy

Post by ronk »

Don't know if this is the right product area for this.

Have been happy user of IFL and IFW for couple years after abandoning Acronis' TI (True Image). Still use Acronis's very dependable DD10 (Disk Director) for partition work. However, interested in using Terabyte's equivalent product to manage, resize, create,etc patitions. Which would that be? Acronis DD works well, but have recently discovered the culprit for occasional bootup BSOD's has been snapman.sys, which is used by DD (and TI, but that's not been installed on my current Windows XP SP3 laptop. So..looking at Terabyte's offering.

Thought someone on the forum could save me the trouble of reading product manuals on this. Wondershare also has a Partition Mgr, but wary of using it.

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Ron
Last edited by ronk on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ronk

Re: Which Terabyte product manages partitions

Post by ronk »

I may have answered my first question. BootitBM, seems to be advertised as the product to use. I already have it as part of an upgrade (formerly bootitng?) but have not installed it. I am now not sure if I must uninstall Acronis DD10 first and, with trepidation since regedit is necessary, remove snapman.sys as well. Anyone able to help on that. Will start looking at the documentation. Snapman.Sys cannot be deleted manually, must be 'unpointed' from registry entries or I will not be able to even boot Win XP at all.

Ron
ronk

Post by ronk »

Wow, a quick look at the manual and I'm a bit intimidated. Compared to Acronis DD, with it's graphical display of existing partitions and sliders, it seems like BootItBM is more risk than reward to convert to at this time. And,...I think all vestiges of Acronis would need to be removed. Maybe I have to contend with occasional (non-repeating) bootup BSOD's for now.

Unless I'm reading the wrong manual and Terabyte has another product for simple partition management.

Ron
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Ron,

There are some very informative (and easy to follow) tutorials on BootIt here...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

You will be rewarded if you persevere and learn how to use BootIt.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Brian K wrote:Ron,

There are some very informative (and easy to follow) tutorials on BootIt here...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

You will be rewarded if you persevere and learn how to use BootIt.
Thanks Brian, will take a look at the tutorial videos. Still curious, as to Acronis DD and it's associated snapman.sys and snapapi.dll, will they be conflict with BootitBM or must I totally remove all traces to even test BootitBM? I would likely work with a test laptop.

One note on the videos,however, when I downloaded the 'resizing partition' video, and tried playing in VLC 1.1.11, I get this error :
"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "MSS2". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."
However, it does play in my old windows media player. I use VLC to play almost all my other videos w/o issue. A strange error.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Ron, as you will be using BIBM outside of Windows I don't think snapman will matter.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

BIBM doesn't install in Windows so there won't be any conflicts with DD or snapman. However, OSS (if it's installed) would conflict with the installed version of BIBM since they are both boot managers.
ronk

Post by ronk »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:BIBM doesn't install in Windows so there won't be any conflicts with DD or snapman. However, OSS (if it's installed) would conflict with the installed version of BIBM since they are both boot managers.
I noticed there is a 'OSSelectorReinstall' listed by RevoUninstaller in 'Autorun' which I had previously unchecked to not startup. I have never installed any Acronis product on this laptop except DD 10, so not sure why that entry was in the startup list to begin with. There is no Acronis OSS product to Uninstall either. I don't remember if that was an option during install of DD or not with regard to OSS.

Ron
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

That's not a problem. It's installed with DD and just keeps OSS activated if OSS is installed. Doesn't do anything otherwise. OSS is a separate install so if you didn't install it, it's not installed.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Having a test look over the partitioning capabilities of BIBM.

In reading BIBM user guide, it is stated that: "Selecting this option causes the BootIt BM boot media to start in Partition Work mode instead displaying the Installation & Recovery Boot Menu. This is useful when you plan on using the BootIt BM boot media for doing partition work without installing BootIt BM. "
Does this mean I can use it for partition work w/o installing BIBM on my HD by indicating 'partition work' only when creating the setup media?
It seems like it can because I booted to the CD. However, it asked again for name and registration number, likely because I hadn't entered the (1) when creating the CD?
after booting to the 'partition work' CD, properties of my active partition noted NTFS: Bootable , but also This partition can not boot WinNT. Yet I boot Windows XP on the harddrive all the time. Also, for the MBR for the extended partition, there was a warning in properties that the last volume should be fat16/fat32, and file system id should be 15 instead of 5?? Yet I've had no issues in Win XP.

I read over the users guide fully on partition work. It looks like all operations performed one at a time if not cancelled, rather than queued before giving a go, like Acronis DD?

I answered my questions for the most part; operations are performed right now if not cancelled, and then followup operations upon a Windows restart as necessary, along with partition check and chkdsk before normal bootup into Windows XP.

I also have successfully removed all vestiges of Acronis DD10, and snapman.sys, as well as snapapi.dll. For simple partition work, BIBM will work fine for me now and when eventually upgraded to Windows 7 or it's successor.

So, for Imaging and Partitioning, Terabyte IFL and BIBM along with Terabytes great support, make me a happy camper.

Ron
Last edited by ronk on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.