Bootnow HD read error

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Bootnow HD read error

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Did you verify in BIBM settings that the "BOOTNOW Support" option is checked after disconnecting the other drives? You might try disabling it, rebooting, enabling again.

Do you have any security software running that would block writing to Track 0 (usually just sector 1)?

Do you have another OS on that drive? For example, if you have XP or another Windows 7, do you have the same problem from those or does BOOTNOW work from them?
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

Bootnow support was checked. Turned it off, rebooted, turned it on, rebooted. Same problem. Item 5 not selected.

Security software was turned off. Still same results. Booted another op sys without security, same result.
System BIOS has no track0/1 protection.

Drive 0 has many operating system partitions. Tried xp, win7 (32bit) win7(64 bit) all same results.

Here's the interesting test that I tried:
-Booted system
-went into BIBM Maintenance mode
-selected Scripting
-entered the following command : EXEC BOOTNDOS 5
system rebooted, same result as all other tests, BIBM starts with item 3 highlighted. Item 5 not run
-tried to boot another selection: EXEC BOOTNDOS 1
system rebooted, same result as all other tests, BIBM starts with item 3 highlighted. Item 1 not run

any suggestions on what to try next?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Use TBOSDT to check if the sector is getting written.

1. In Windows, start TBOSDT as an administrator.
2. Change to a temp folder (e.g. cd \bntest).
3. Run the following command to copy sector 1 from HD0: copy sectors 0 1 1 bn_before.bin
4. Run BOOTNOW to set the OS for the next boot, don't reboot: bootnow 5/noreboot
5. Back in TBOSDT, copy the sector again: copy sectors 0 1 1 bn_after.bin
6. Open a Command Prompt and change to the temp folder: cd \bntest
7. Compare the files: fc /b bn_before.bin bn_after.bin

A listing should be displayed showing any differences. Assuming sector 1 is being used (might be sector 2 if you have a lot of partitions), you should see one line showing the change from "00" to "05". For example: 000001C9: 00 05

Do you see this?
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

Progress is being made .........
bootnow 3/noreboot
Comparing BN_after.bin and bn_before.bin...
Compare error at OFFSET E9
file1 = 3
file2 = 5

then I ran bootnow 5/run=bui8.tbs/noreboot
Comparing BN_after_run.bin and bn_before.bin...
Compare error at OFFSET E9
file1 = 5
file2 = 3
Compare error at OFFSET EA
file1 = 62
file2 = 0
Compare error at OFFSET EB
file1 = 75
file2 = 55
Compare error at OFFSET EC
file1 = 69
file2 = 49
Compare error at OFFSET EF
file1 = 74
file2 = 54
Compare error at OFFSET F0
file1 = 62
file2 = 42
Compare error at OFFSET F1
file1 = 73
file2 = 53
Compare more files (Y/N) ?

So the sectors are being written, and BUI8 TBS is in there !!!!!! .. Now what ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an additional test, I installed BIBM on another hardware system. Bootnow worked perfectly and launched my BIBM8.tbs script as desired. So there must be something wrong with my first systems configuration/installation??

One very interesting observation.
Most every time that I booted my 2 systems, the (windows) device number of my boot drive changed. I had to change my bootnow.ini file. This is absolutely no problem as I can write a tbos script file to create the required bootnow.ini before executing the bootnow command. But, do you have any idea why the boot drive # changes so frequently. I never really noticed it before until I started playing with bootnow.
TeraByte Support(PP)

That doesn't look like FC output. Did you modify it or use something else? It does appear to be updating.

How do you have your password(s) configured? Is it for Maintenance or do you require a user to log in before the menu? When you did your tests you just say that the menu comes up with the last booted item selected. Do you have to log in first? Have you tried without the password/login?
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I used the comp command not the FC command. Here are the FC results:
fc bn_before.bin bn_after.bin
Comparing files bn_before.bin and BN_AFTER.BIN
000000E9: 05 02

fc bn_after_run.bin bn_after.bin
Comparing files bn_after_run.bin and BN_AFTER.BIN
000000E9: 03 02
000000EA: 62 00
000000EB: 75 55
000000EC: 69 49
000000EF: 74 54
000000F0: 62 42
000000F1: 73 53

pretty much the same as comp command ...........

How do you have your password(s) configured?
Yes for some of the menu items, but not the ones that I am trying to use.

Is it for Maintenance or do you require a user to log in before the menu?
BIBM Maintenance does have a password. There is no password requested before getting the BIBM menu after boot. BIBM is not configured for multiple users.

When you did your tests you just say that the menu comes up with the last booted item selected. Do you have to log in first?
after power on or reboot, the BIBM menu is the first thing on the screen (after post messages)

Have you tried without the password/login?
I do not know what password/login you are asking about. At the BIBM menu, if I select item 5, it just starts that operating system. No passwords involved at all, anytime after power-on.
TeraByte Support(PP)

BIBM will stop at the menu (like on your system) if I try to boot a password protected menu item with BOOTNOW (this is noted in the manual). However, it's working normally when booting one that's not protected.

How many menu items do you have and how many are password protected?

For a test, can you remove all the passwords and see if that makes a difference?
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

PROBLEM SOLVED

While removing passwords from each menu item and re-testing, none solved the problem. Then I removed the maintenance password from the settings menu, and unckecked the require password box. That solved the problem.

For some reason, I thought that the "Require Password" checkbox related to the Maintenance password box directly above. I now understand why you were asking about user passwords, or another password.

I put all my passwords back in, but without that box being checked, and everything is working exactly as designed.

Thank you very much for your time and patience. You have a great product set, and your Support team is excellent.
Terry
TeraByte Support(PP)

You're welcome.

I tested with the "Require Login" box (I assume that's the box you mean) checked and no users and had the same problem. If a user is defined you'll be prompted to log in before the menu is displayed (this blocks BOOTNOW). Apparently, it's also blocking if no users are defined.