Bootnow Enhancement

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
rich071

Bootnow Enhancement

Post by rich071 »

I would like to suggest an enhancement to Bootnow where a hidden partition would only be bootable when called from a running OS and not from the default menu. Since I prefer cold backups, I have automated the backups to run at night. At 3 in the morning, the routine gets triggered through the task scheduler and will boot into a partition with a WinPE image and backup the selected partitions. When complete, the system will either shutdown or reboot based on the settings. I had to remove the password settings to the WinPE partition to achieve this.

Current command called for the backup, O:\Bootnow\BOOTNOW.EXE WinPE - Backup 01

Suggested command called for the backup, O:\Bootnow\BOOTNOW.EXE hidden.BBM WinPE - Backup 01, where the, WinPE - Backup 01, is on the hidden.BBM menu.

Basically, if a menu with a BBM extension is on the command line, use that menu, otherwise, try to boot from the default.BBM or whatever the default menu is named, if renamed.

I think other users would welcome this enhancement.

Thanks for any consideration on the above.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Bootnow Enhancement

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Since you don't want the WinPE item in the BIBM menu, have you considered using a boot file instead? No BIBM entry needed and it can be booted directly from Windows.

Alternatively, you might be able to use a TBOSDT script to swap the menu file before calling BOOTNOW and a similar script in your WinPE to swap back the original after booting.
rich071

Post by rich071 »

I will check out both and see which would be better.

Thanks
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I do basically the same thing. As you have BIBM, you have all you need to do it. You do not need Win/pe at all.

- I create a dummy BIBM entry that selects a partition that has no operating system on it. (if you select it, you get an error message and go back to the BIBM selection screen. I agree a hidden menu item would be good here.)

then set up you task scheduler to run BOOTNOW.exe DUMMY/run=Backup#.TBS
The Backup#.tbs script invokes many image.exe's via command line to do their functions, and is run under the BOOTITBM (TBOS) operating system.

I have 2 tasks, one runs every Saturday at 1:00am and does an incremental backup of all my drives.
The other scheduled task runs on the 1st of every month at 4:00am and does a combine function to compress everything back to a monthly file which becomes the base for the next incremental backup.