BootitBM and UEFI?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
StephenNickell

BootitBM and UEFI?

Post by StephenNickell »

Hi,
I have been using Bootitbm and before it Bootitng as a boot manager for some time, and more recently as a means of restoring images created with IFW. It is a fundamental part of the way I keep backups of my computer. I am purchasing a new computer with windows 8 which uses UEFI as the boot process - can I use BootitBM as my boot manager? - if not, will there be a new version of bootit to offer the same functions as Bootit?

Thanks,
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: BootitBM and UEFI?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

BIBM doesn't support being installed on a GPT drive or being used as a boot manager on systems using UEFI booting.

You can still boot to BIBM using Legacy mode and use it on the system for partitioning/imaging tasks. If the system is converted to use Legacy booting you can install BIBM and use it normally.
StephenNickell

Post by StephenNickell »

Will there be a new version of Bootit which will work with UEFI/GPT etc without using legacy mode etc?

Thanks
StephenNickell

Post by StephenNickell »

The silence is ominous!
a1pcfixer

Post by a1pcfixer »

StephenNickell,

> The silence is ominous!

You could always 'google' for your answers on those questions.

For keywords use "secure boot" "Windows 8" and "GPT"

Some of those terms have been discussed right here in recent months.

Searching for such will be far more rewarding than just having them
handed to you.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

StephenNickell

Post by StephenNickell »

Unfortunately you have missed the point. I am aware that there is lots of information available about windows 8, UEFI, GPT etc through Google. The question I asked was not a technical question about them, it was a commercial one as to whether Terabyte would be producing new software for the new UEFI/GPT environment. If you can find the answer to this question via Google I would be grateful if you could let me know where.
a1pcfixer

Post by a1pcfixer »

StephenNickell,

> Unfortunately you have missed the point.

No, rather, I prefer you do a minimal amount of research to find out why it's a bit
unlikely to see TB coming into compliance with their BiBM & MS licensing.

Do your google search on secure boot & Windows 8 which will lead you to discussions
about those and boot managers like BiBm. Some of the very same has been discussed
right here in recent months.

> whether Terabyte would be producing new software for the new UEFI/GPT environment.

Focus primarily on secure boot, not UEFI. Research UEFI and you'll find that in it's
simplest form, is basically an expanded version of the BIOS we've all known for
years. In some cases UEFI is a mini OS in & of itself, sitting atop the BIOS.

Then again, maybe TB might fork out the mega bucks MS want to come into compliance
(ie, secure boot).......doubtful, but ya never know.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

In general, we don't comment on potential future products or features.

"StephenNickell" wrote in message news:5749@public.bootitbm...

Will there be a new version of Bootit which will work with UEFI/GPT etc
without using legacy mode etc?

Thanks

DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:43:34 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
a1pcfixer disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>No, rather, I prefer you do a minimal amount of research to find out why it's a bit
>unlikely to see TB coming into compliance with their BiBM & MS licensing.

It's all a great mish mash of GPT, UEFI and secure booting.

AIUI all BIOSs can be made to boot with secure boot off - so no
licence fee to MSoft. Then on just needs to know if one can install or
will one be able to install BIBM on a GPT disk. A "minimal" amount of
research will not cut through that fog screen - I have tried.

So often it is best to defer to those who seem to know better, and
hoping that they are in a brotherly rather than otherwise mood, for a
quick and clear answer.
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
StephenNickell

Post by StephenNickell »

I don't think BIBM as it currently is would be of much use if it was installed on a GPT disc. I would expect that a new version would be required. I presume this would be installed to its own partition, would "amend" the existing boot process so as to become the default boot option, and would then offer all the same options that bootitBM currently does - boot management, partition maintenance, imaging etc, plus whatever else would be useful.

From what I have so far seen of the new UEFI/GPT system, it is more powerful but harder to work with - the availability of lots of partitions can make things more difficult. I have just got a new Dell laptop with Win 8 on it, and before the addition of any other operating systems it uses six partitions to provide all the recovery, boot, diagnostic stuff that dell provide. Tinkering appears to be more risky than it was with the old MBR system. I have not found any bootmanager software which allows you to easily set up different OS's which can be selected at boot without having to press function keys and change BIOS options, and can then hide different drives/os's for each boot option.

I think there is a demand for software like BootitBM to provide these fuctions, and I would be surprised if Terabyte are not looking at it. I am very hopeful that they are - I have never found any other software which has performed so well in the MBR environment, and I obviously would like that level of service to continue into the GPT environment. Some bits would transfer fairly easily - partition management / imaging / BCD editing already work.

I can understand If Terabyte are unwilling to comment on future developments, but this is a more desireable response than just an ominous silence ;)