Can't rename a Primary partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Patosan

Can't rename a Primary partition

Post by Patosan »

On my latest 2T hdd I added added volumes to a primary partition, which hadn't had any os. The partition originally had an original name, but after adding the volumes I can't rename it ... in fact BIBM gave it it's own name MBR1. I've tried several times, weeks apart w/o luck to rename it.

Is it possible to rename it ?
DrTeeth

Re: Can't rename a Primary partition

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 03:25:56 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Patosan disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Is it possible to rename it ?

From the deep recesses of my memory, IIRC, one has to convert the disk
to an EMBR one.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=515
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

See: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=541

You may need to enable the "Use Volume Label" option in settings or label the partition in Windows first.
Patosan

Post by Patosan »

Thanks guys, I converted the disk to an EMBR one, as per DrT's advice, and naming was no problem.
I'm curious if I now convert back if the new name stays ... is there any advantage staying as EMBR drive or returning ?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The name saved in the EMBR doesn't have to match that of the volume label. It won't change if you label the partition in Windows, for example. The partition label is used if MBR type.

I usually use EMBR type on BIBM systems if I need to control the partitions (boot items, etc.). Otherwise, I generally leave them MBR, especially if they get moved around to different systems (like those without BIBM).

With EMBR you'll have to make sure your boot items are loading the partitions you want for that drive.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 11:40:27 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>The name saved in the EMBR doesn't have to match that of the volume label. It won't change if you label the partition in Windows, for example. The partition label is used if MBR type.
>
>I usually use EMBR type on BIBM systems if I need to control the partitions (boot items, etc.). Otherwise, I generally leave them MBR, especially if they get moved around to different systems (like those without BIBM).
>
>With EMBR you'll have to make sure your boot items are loading the partitions you want for that drive.
>

That is exactly what I do. Externals=MBR, internals=EMBR
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.