TBWinPE boot disc

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
martop01

TBWinPE boot disc

Post by martop01 »

Hi,

A question about the TBWinPE boot disc, is it possible to create on that has a windows shell and taskbar, it would be a useful tool to help recover files off the computer before a restoration of an image, for instance, windows C drive or partition has a problem where an image restore is needed but there are files on the drive or partition that could be copied to another drive using a windows like shell.

Regards,

Martop.
DrTeeth

Re: TBWinPE boot disc

Post by DrTeeth »

A Linux live disk can do this - sorry if you knew that already.
--

Cheers

DrT
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

martop01 wrote: is it possible to create on that has a windows shell and taskbar, it would be a useful tool to help recover files off the computer
I don't think so. But as you have Win7, your Win7 DVD can act as a WinPE disk. You can copy files off the HD partitions as you desire.
martop01

Post by martop01 »

Thank you all for replying,

I can do file copy with either of the methods mentioned, I was just wondering if this could be made into the TBWinPE boot disc. The main reason I asked was due a situation I had where I was away from home and a home based computer refused to boot, trying to instruct a family member over the phone wasn't easy, we got there in the end by using a linux live cd that I had laying around, files copied and the backup image loaded, the entire issue was eventually solved but I was pulling my hair out, it would have been a better solution to have a windows like environment on the TBWinPE boot disc. Most of the time the important files are backed up, when they are not, that is the time something goes wrong.

As often happens, I posted this and 'then' found there is a way to create a Win7RescuePE, this seems to offer what I want though I dont know why its no longer supported.

Thanks again,

Martop.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

If you have XP, you can use Bart's PE to create a bootable
CD that will do this on NTFS as well as FAT.

I find the lines are not wrapping in this new format. They
just go on and on to the right.
Mary

On 10/17/2011 5:25 PM, martop01 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A question about the TBWinPE boot disc, is it possible to create on that has a windows shell and taskbar,

it would be a useful tool to help recover files off the
computer before a restoration of an image, for instance,

windows C drive or partition has a problem where an image
restore is needed but there are files on the drive or

partition that could be copied to another drive using a
windows like shell.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martop.