IFL error accessing USB External-SOLVED

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
ronk

IFL error accessing USB External-SOLVED

Post by ronk »

Have a new Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8 Gb mem. Up until now, have never had a problem with various computers on Windows 2000 and Windows XP in accessing USB External drives (various sizes, brands) to do an IFL full image backup. Now, for an unknown and hopefully simple reason, after using IFL 2.65 boot cd and coming into Image for Windows GUI, proceeding through the various options, getting stopped at the "BACKUP to" dialogue. The USB drive(s) are recognized as 'Generic Multi-Card (sdb) - MBR' (haven't seen this message before,either). After selecting it for backup, get an 'ERROR accessing drive'. Have tried all 3 USB ports with same result. Hopefully someone has an idea what is wrong.
:?
Last edited by ronk on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: IFL error accessing USB External

Post by TeraByte Support »

That's a card reader - if you didn't plug in your USB drive until after
booting, go back to the main menu and click the detect device changes a few
times, or exit, unplug it, plug it back in, wait about 5 to 10 seconds, then
start ifl again.

"ronk" wrote in message news:439@public.image...

Have a new Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8 Gb mem. Up until now,
have never had a problem with various computers on Windows 2000 and Windows
XP in accessing USB External drives (various sizes, brands) to do an IFL
full image backup. Now, for an unknown and hopefully simple reason, after
using IFL 2.65 boot cd and coming into Image for Windows GUI, proceeding
through the various options, getting stopped at the "BACKUP to"
dialogue. The USB drive(s) are recognized as 'Generic Multi-Card (sdb) -
MBR' (haven't seen this message before,either). After selecting it for
backup, get an 'ERROR accessing drive'. Have tried all 3 USB ports with
same result. Hopefully someone has an idea what is wrong.

ronk

Post by ronk »

I had been unplugging the drive, and even replugging into a different usb port, while watching the 'detect device changes' (which I always have done in the past to know when IFL is ready for the drive), but still same issue and error. I figured maybe that was a bogus 'cardreader' detection. Very strange. Will have to try using Image for Windows instead at this point. However, this is not a good solution, since if a complete restore of 'C' primary drive is ever required, I cannot do it without IFL seeing the USB drives. Until now, I had found IFL to be bulletproof . :(

I looked at the BIOS and didn't see anything unusual.
TeraByte Support wrote:That's a card reader - if you didn't plug in your USB drive until after
start ifl again.

TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

attach the drive, exit to the command prompt, run 'viewreport' then 'savereport'
TeraByte Support(TP)

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

ronk wrote:I had been unplugging the drive, and even replugging into a different usb port, while watching the 'detect device changes' (which I always have done in the past to know when IFL is ready for the drive), but still same issue and error. I figured maybe that was a bogus 'cardreader' detection. Very strange. Will have to try using Image for Windows instead at this point. However, this is not a good solution, since if a complete restore of 'C' primary drive is ever required, I cannot do it without IFL seeing the USB drives. Until now, I had found IFL to be bulletproof . :(

I looked at the BIOS and didn't see anything unusual.
TeraByte Support wrote:That's a card reader - if you didn't plug in your USB drive until after
start ifl again.

In addition to providing the report, does it make any difference if you power down the system (rather than rebooting from Windows) before booting into IFL?

What it sounds like is that it's seeing an empty card reader, but not seeing your USB drive that you want to back up to.
ronk

Post by ronk »

Thanks Tom, sorry for the late response, was away for a while. As it turns out, there was an SD card 'filler' in the reader slot. Removed it, and then the USB external drive was recognized fine. Consider the issue solved.

Thanks again
ethanehunt

Re: IFL error accessing USB External-SOLVED

Post by ethanehunt »

Hi everybody, I have a Kingston 4GB USB disk, last day when i finished my work, i tried to safely remove my USB but computer prompted that USB cannot be removed at this time. I thought it would be a virus or something in PC that is doing this and i pulled out my 4GB Kingston usb from USB port at back of my PC.

I already have done this many times, but this time I was very unfortunate, when today i put my USB in port at back of my computer, the bubble at system tray appears saying:”USB device not recognized………..” and I have tried nealy all the possible solutions….upgrading USB drivers, power cord-off method, uninstalling and reinstalling all USB devices,changing registry and even formating my C drive and installing windows……all was of no use…

My 4GB Kingston USB still shows the same problem. I also have tried it on several other computers, every computer gives the same problem. No icon of USB is displayed in My Computer.

I am so desperate and I am so helpless…what to do, i had all very very important data in it and i cant even recover it.

If some body can help me find out the solution, I would be very thankx to him/her.

Online high school diploma
a1pcfixer

Post by a1pcfixer »

Ethanehunt,

> I already have done this many times, but this time I was very unfortunate, when today i put my USB in port at back of my computer, the bubble at system tray appears saying:”USB device not recognized………..”

The data on that thumb drive is most likely TOAST!

You've learned the hard way, why it's so very important to "Safely Remove" such USB devices.

You might try accessing it's data via another PC, but don't expect miracles.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

oakeny

Post by oakeny »

[quote="ethanehunt"]Hi everybody, I have a Kingston 4GB USB disk, last day when i finished my work, i tried to safely remove my USB but computer prompted that USB cannot be removed at this time. I thought it would be a virus or something in PC that is doing this and i pulled out my 4GB Kingston usb from USB port at back of my PC.

I already have done this many times, but this time I was very unfortunate, when today i put my USB in port at back of my computer, the bubble at system tray appears saying:”USB device not recognized………..” and I have tried nealy all the possible solutions….upgrading USB drivers, power cord-off method, uninstalling and reinstalling all USB devices,changing registry and even formating my C drive and installing windows……all was of no use…

My 4GB Kingston USB still shows the same problem. I also have tried it on several other computers, every computer gives the same problem. No icon of USB is displayed in My Computer.

I am so desperate and I am so helpless…what to do, i had all very very important data in it and i cant even recover it.

If some body can help me find out the solution, I would be very thankx to him/her.
--------------------------
You could try this:-

http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.11.3.win.zip

From my notes:-
"Two applications for recovering files. For intsructions see http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step and http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Use Test Disk to recover damaged partitions and MBRs"

I used the software to recover the file system from an external usb drive which had benn rendered useless due to a faulty usb socket. windows just saw the damaged drive as being unformatted (and offered only the option of formatting it, which I declined to take).

The instructions for the software are a bit skimpy, and I didn't really know what I was doing.
However, I was lucky, and the drive was fully recovered after I had fumbled my way through the process.

If you can possibly make an image of the damaged drive before trying to recover the data, that would be a useful precaution I guess.

Good Luck

Cheers,

John S