BIBM wont launch IFD

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
gwod

BIBM wont launch IFD

Post by gwod »

My portable boots into BIBM 1.15 OK. But clicking the icon 'Disk Imaging' gives total lockup.
Restart only works after removing the power pack for a few minutes.
Running IFD from a USB stick works fine but that is a poor second best.
My portable worked fine with BiNG and its imaging facility.
All suggestions welcome.
Graeme.
TeraByte Support

Re: BIBM wont launch IFD

Post by TeraByte Support »

you can hold the power button down for 5 to 10 seconds .. but can use boot
using BIBM? It just exits and runs image.exe (what is on the screen)?

"gwod" wrote in message news:4658@public.bootitbm...

My portable boots into BIBM 1.15 OK. But clicking the icon 'Disk Imaging'
gives total lockup.
Restart only works after removing the power pack for a few minutes.
Running IFD from a USB stick works fine but that is a poor second best.
My portable worked fine with BiNG and its imaging facility.
All suggestions welcome.
Graeme.

gwod

Post by gwod »

Oh Sh!! I am sure I was logged in and used quick reply to type a page of input, then pressed submit and got a message saying U must login to respond to this session and my page of input was in the bit bucket :( . So here goes again.

My machine is ASUS Eee1000 HE Megatrends BIOS, G-cube wireless mouse and XP.
Yesterday I made a BIBM usb stick, booted my machine and loaded BIBM which seemed to work but click on DI disk image gave lockup.
Then I made a IFD usb stick, booted and ran IFD ok from the stick.
So I reported my problem as above.

Having done more trials the problem seems to be mouse related and not fully repeatable.
Navigating only with tab/enter it all seems to work ok. Boot >BIBM>IFD>exit to BIBM > Resume to windows.
Navigating with mouse, I sometimes get lockup when I click DI, sometimes I get into IFD OK and get lockup on exit from IFD.
Once I got back into BIBM with the mouse pointer frozen mid screen, but tab/enter still worked, so I used tab/enter to get back into IFD and the mouse worked again. Then using mouse to exit into BIBM gave lockup.
I have not encountered any problems using the mouse within BIBM or within IFD, it seems to be when switching between them.

Let me know any additional tests or diagnosis dumps I can provide.
Thanks,
Graeme.

By lockup I mean. Blank screen, no disc activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del no response.
Press start 5-10 secs power lights go out, press again power light on, no drive activity, screen stays blank.
Press start 25 secs power lights go out, press again power light on, no drive activity, screen stays blank.
Remove mains psu and battery, press start to deplete internal charges, replace power all starts normally.
If the mains psu is not used, Press start 25 secs, power lights go out, press again gives normal start.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Does the lockup actually occur when you click Disk Imaging or when you move the mouse pointer too quickly after clicking Disk Imaging perhaps before the Disk Imaging screen is completely written?

Similarly, when clicking to exit Disk Imaging or when moving the mouse too quickly after exiting perhaps before the BIBM desktop screen is completely established?

You may very well have described your problem accurately, but I sometimes have hangs in the "moving mouse too quickly" situation so it's worth being sure which case you have.
gwod

Post by gwod »

Thanks Bob, that seems to be a work around. Holding the mouse absolutely still while clicking and waiting for the change of screen seems to work OK. But any quiver of the finger or moving the mouse before the next screen appears gives lockup.