Upgrade BING to BIBM

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
davewilk

Re: Upgrade BING to BIBM

Post by davewilk »

Paul:

OK, thanks.

My understanding is that the BCD file lives at C:\Boot\bcd. On my Windows 8 partition, the entire C:\Boot folder is missing. Do I need to recreate that first?

The bootmgr file is already present on C:\.
Ed Smith

Post by Ed Smith »

Try going to Folder Options the the View tab and uncheck "Hide protected
operating system files"

"davewilk" wrote in message news:4430@public.bootitbm...

Paul:

OK, thanks.

My understanding is that the BCD file lives at C:\Boot\bcd. On my Windows 8
partition, the entire C:\Boot folder is missing. Do I need to recreate that
first?

The bootmgr file is already present on C:\.

davewilk

Post by davewilk »

Ed Smith wrote:
> Try going to Folder Options the the View tab and uncheck "Hide protected
> operating system files"

I always have that option unchecked. But actually, since I cannot boot into Windows 8 at present, I was viewing the Windows 8 partition by adding it to the MBR in my Windows 7 boot item. In that situation, I'm not sure that Windows 7 would see the Windows 8 boot folder as protect-worthy.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

When you run "bootrec /rebuildbcd" it will create the \Boot folder and the BCD file. You don't need to create it first.
davewilk

Post by davewilk »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> You could try doing a boot repair on Windows 8.

Paul:

OK, I did what you said. When I got to

bootrec /rebuildbcd

it found two installations.

1. C:\Windows.old\Windows
2. C:\Windows

The first is the Vista install that I upgraded from, so I said no. The second should be my Windows 8, so I said yes.

I got the result:

Element not found.

What now?

I would just reinstall Windows 8 over the top of my existing installation, but I am concerned that the upgrade disk might not recognize the current system as being upgradable.

Edit: Should I try

bootrec /fixboot

before

bootrec /rebuildbcd

?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Verify that the Windows 8 partition is set active when booted to the Windows 8 DVD to do the BCD rebuild. You can use DISKPART for this (also to set it active, if necessary). You may want to remove the existing \Boot folder before attempting more repairs (assuming the previous attempt created it) so it can start clean again.

Try running the following command when booted to the Windows 8 DVD (Windows 8 partition active). C: should be the Windows 8 partition.
bcdboot C:\Windows

If it reports success try booting into Windows 8.

Otherwise, you can try running through the bootrec fixes:
bootrec /fixmbr (you'll have to reactivate BIBM if you run this one)
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
davewilk

Post by davewilk »

Paul:

As before, I booted to the Windows 8 DVD with only the Windows 8 partition in the MBR.

I used diskpart to set the Windows 8 partition active (it is the only partition in the MBR so I think it was active already).

There is no boot\ directory on C, but there is a bootmgr file.

I tried:

bcdboot C:\Windows (Failure when attempting to copy boot files)

bootrec /fixboot (Element not found)

bootrec /rebuildbcd, select C:\Windows (Element not found)

I hesitated to do a /fixmbr, but I think it is correct, because just the one partition is present.

I inspected C: and everything seems to be there, except the boot/ directory.

Could there be some permission thing going on here?

Edit:

Paul, are you sure the above bcdboot command is correct? The docs say that the first argument to bcdboot is the source, not the target.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Is the Windows 8 drive the only drive connected/enabled when you try this? It would appear it's having problems finding the active/system partition. You could try specifying the target drive and see if it helps:
bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

If the bcdboot command works you shouldn't need to run the bootrec commands.

Can you create the \Boot folder from the Command Prompt? If so, I wouldn't think permissions would be causing any problems. Are you sure the \Boot folder doesn't exist (I assume you've checked if it's hidden)? I've seen problems doing repairs when the files\folder already existed and was corrupt or invalid.

Do you get any helpful information if you run in verbose mode?
bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /v
davewilk

Post by davewilk »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Is the Windows 8 drive the only drive connected/enabled when you try this?
> It would appear it's having problems finding the active/system partition.

I had come to the conclusion that this might be the problem also. When I disabled the other disk in the BIOS, then the bootrec commands worked, and I was immediately able to boot into Windows 8. Even better I did not mess up the Windows 7 boot.

Thanks for sticking with me!!

I think so many of the problems I have had with the Win8 upgrade on this machine have to do with the fact that the disks are attached to the motherboard in the "wrong" order. If I open up the machine and change the connections to make my boot disk first in the sequence, will that confuse BIBM?
TeraByte Support(PP)

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it fixed.

If you change the order of the drives it will affect how BIBM sees them. This is true whether done physically or via a BIOS disk order setting. However, you should just need to check the menu items and update them as needed (e.g. HD0 is now HD1, HD1 is now HD0). When I run into this problem on non-booting drives I usually don't bother updating the entries unless I plan to leave it that way (I have one computer that does this when I connect my eSATA drive).