SSD w/SATA III compatible with enclosures/docks?

User discussion forum for items related to technology in general.
ohaya

SSD w/SATA III compatible with enclosures/docks?

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I have an older docking station (toaster-style) that has a USB 2.0 and eSATA interface, bought in 2009, so the specs says it works with SATA I/II drives (http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=583).

I recently "inherited" a 128GB M4 SSD that one of my sons doesn't need, so I figured that I'd try using it with that docking station, but when I try that, it's not recognized by my PC. When I try booting into BING with the drive in the docking station, BING puts up a message ("Synchronization in Progress") and sits there for awhile before getting to the main BING page.

I originally was thinking that the problem was that the SSD was SATA III (vs. SATA I or SATA II), but I also tried an older OCZ Vertex SSD, which is, I think SATA II, and that had the same problem.

I guess that I always thought that, to the SATA interface, an SSD would look like a hard drive, but apparently that's not the case. Is there something about an SSD that would cause it not to work with a SATA enclosure or docking station?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: SSD w/SATA III compatible with enclosures/docks?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Have you tried BIBM?

Have you tried using the dock via USB and eSATA?

I can see my M4 using BIBM when it's in my USB 3.0 dock (haven't tried BING with it).
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Paul,

Yes, I tried both using the USB 2.0 and eSATA connections from the docking station to my PC.

If anything, I kind of think that it's a problem with this specific model of drive dock. The reason I say that is I have another, equally old dock, and the M4 SSD works fine with that. Unfortunately, that other dock only has USB 2.0, and no eSATA. The only reason i tried it was to see if it might be a generic problem with docks and SSDs.

I've posted on Syba's forum to ask about this problem, but it's probably time for me to look for a newer-generation dock :)...

You mentioned that you had a USB 3.0 dock that works with BIBM and the M4. Can you tell me which dock that is?

Thanks,
Jim
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It's a Rosewill RX-DU300.