Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal.

Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby rustleg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 am

With the ASUS P7P55D motherboard giving so many problems with BIBM I'm wondering if there's a good alternative LGA1156 motherboard which runs BIBM without problems and would support my existing i5, 4GB DDR3 memory, and PCI Express video card. I'd rather change the mb than not use BIBM.

Could anyone recommend one which does the job?
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby DrTeeth » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:55 am

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 02:39:16 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
rustleg disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Could anyone recommend one which does the job?

I am in the UK and was looking to replace the same motherboard, not
because of probs with BIBM, but because the integrated devices
(network and sound cards; spurious USB issues) are failing. Thank
goodness expansion cards are cheap.

In short, I could not find anything useful. I want a full sized board
and as the socket is obsolete the motherboards are difficult to find.

Good luck with your quest.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby ohaya » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi,

I find it funny (in a humorous, but complimentary way) that folks would choose which hardware to use, based on the desire to be able to use/continue to use BIBM/BING. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic, because I'm the same way. Couldn't work without those tools!!

Jim
ohaya
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby DrTeeth » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:19 am

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:25:58 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I find it funny (in a humorous, but complimentary way) that folks would choose which hardware to use, based on the desire to be able to use/continue to use BIBM/BING. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being sarcastic, because I'm the same way. Couldn't work without those tools!!

When I upgrade next and find that BIBM does not work properly or with
a mouse I'll be [politeness filter] very upset [/politeness filter].
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby rustleg » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:50 am

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:25:58 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
> ohaya disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >I find it funny (in a humorous, but complimentary way) that folks would
> choose which hardware to use, based on the desire to be able to
> use/continue to use BIBM/BING. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being
> sarcastic, because I'm the same way. Couldn't work without those tools!!
>

It's not so much funny as sad. My interpretation is that some motherboard manufacturers seem unable to devote sufficient resources to providing a good BIOS. I realise they might not be able to control everything that happens when boards are plugged in to the bus, but they should know enough about the hardware to make it work properly. Perhaps they have become lazy because presumably the OS makers have taken over many IO functions? Otherwise why would their systems run without problem when BIBM has such a torrid time?

> When I upgrade next and find that BIBM does not work properly or with
> a mouse I'll be [politeness filter] very upset [/politeness filter].
> --

With this in mind I wonder if it's possible to set up a thread here where folks can post their BIBM experience with their choice of motherboard / graphics card? This might help others when choosing an upgrade.
Russell
rustleg
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re: Alternative LGA1156 motherboard?

Postby DrTeeth » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Nowadays the BIOS has so little to do, if the OS boots...it has done
its job. THAT is the modern definition of a 'good' BIOS as far as the
MB makers are concerned.

Why should they put the time and effort into making some software work
in which it has no interest?
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am


Return to BootIt Bare Metal