Problem with Windows (10) updates failing - Error 0x800f0922

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Problem with Windows (10) updates failing - Error 0x800f0922

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

I think you have resized the OS partition too much. Resize it to 249700 MiB. This should create 300 MiB of Free space after the OS partition.

I assume BIU has been uninstalled and you are using BIU UFD. At this stage I'd create an Entire Drive backup, before you do the slides. You will need to do another Entire drive backup after you have reinstalled BIU.

When you do the Slides, put 0 in the Free Space After field. Leave the tick in Data only.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

if you want to copy at the same time, using imaging tool, ensure the target disk type is GPT, copy over the EFI System partition, resize it to new larger size, then copy over the other partitions using the "update boot partition" option if it shows up (using new sizes for ones you want larger). You could also disable auto scaling restrictions and do an entire drive copy with scale to fit enabled (I'm presuming here that you have enough free space on the EFI system partition to resize it).
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi Brian and Terabyte,

I want to kind of reset where i am, because I think that what I am ending up doing is what Brian originally was suggesting... not doing anything with the new SSD yet, but just getting the ESP resized...

So what I have done is:

- Resized the OS (I resized it a lot, to 200000, actually not just for this, but in preparation for imaging later when I move everything off to the new SSD).

- Slide the OS partition down 500
- Slide the Reserved partion down 500
- Now there is a 500 Mib gap between the Reserved partition and the ESP:
biupartitions.jpg
biupartitions.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 656 times
But when I try to resize the ESP I am getting this error, regardless of how many Mib I increase the size:
biuerror.jpg
biuerror.jpg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 656 times
I was going through some of the earlier posts in this thread and there was a mention of removing/deleting files from the ESP a little bit at first or something like that. I didn't really understand that part but is there some problem trying to resize a partition that has 0 free bytes, or something like that, and is that whY I am getting the error above?

Thanks,
Jim
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim, nice work. Did you try resizing the ESP to 201 MiB? I assume you did and it failed.

I'd now uninstall BIU. That should give you enough Free space in the partition to be able to resize. I'd resize the full amount. 700 MiB. You will need to do this with your BIU UFD.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

This is what I was referring to, from earlier posts btwn Terabyte and Brian?

TeraByte Support » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:12 am

Brian K wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am

TeraByte Support wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 pm
note to resize a zero free space item requires creating some free space first,

Do you mean create Free space in the partition? By moving files out?

that would work.

What did you all mean by "moving files out"? You mean deleting files from the ESP? Is the above what is causing the resize ESP to fail?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

The ESP is full and that's causing the failure to resize. The easiest way to create Free space in the ESP is to uninstall BIU. BIU uses 10 MiB. You could move files out of the ESP with TeraByte Explorer but this requires more work. Much more. And it will probably be BIU files anyway that are moved out. Moved to another partition and moved back after the resize.
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Hi,

Ok, BIU V1.44 installed now and also all the Windows 10 updates got completed. This is the HD1 at this time:
newhd1.jpg
newhd1.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Next I need to image the HD1 whole drive and then restore that to the new SSD...

Thanks for everything!

Jim
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim, impressive.

Did you need to uninstall BIU before you could resize the ESP?
ohaya1000

Post by ohaya1000 »

Brian,

Yes, that is what I did.

I uninstalled BIU, then I resized the ESP, then I installed BIU 1.44. I think I had to also re-activate BIU a little later.

I'm currently using BIU to do the whole drive image to an external 8T drive.

Re. moving to the new SSD. I was wondering. After I do the whole drive backup, which includes the ESP, if I boot to the BIU USB with both the new 1TB SSD installed HD1 (so the original 500GB not installed in the VOSTRO), can I just do a whole drive restore from the whole drive backed up image, and then I shouldn't even need to re-install BIU, correct?

Thanks again for sticking with me on this one. I know I was all over the place on it but ended up with what you originally suggested ;) !!

So you definitely get an "I told you so" ;) !!

Jim

P.S. I forgot to mention: When I did the slide of the OS partition, I had the "Data Only" UNchecked. I did that because I noted the BIU manual says:

"• To copy just the used areas of the file system rather than copying every sector (including unused
sectors) and thereby improve speed (unless the partition is almost full and has a lot of
fragmentation), select the Data Only checkbox."

and I felt like since the OS should have every sector copied.

Jim
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Brian K wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 am
ohaya1000 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 am
Re. moving to the new SSD. I was wondering. After I do the whole drive backup, which includes the ESP, if I boot to the BIU USB with both the new 1TB SSD installed HD1 (so the original 500GB not installed in the VOSTRO), can I just do a whole drive restore from the whole drive backed up image, and then I shouldn't even need to re-install BIU, correct?
You will be asked to Reactivate/Reinstall. Probable Reinstall as it's new hardware.