Taking image backup of dell desktop

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
KASINATH

Taking image backup of dell desktop

Post by KASINATH »

Hello I am kasinath,

I have recently purchased a dell desktop xps 8300.

Processor i7-2600
GB RAM
windows 7 untimate 64 bit installed by dell

500GB hard disk.

Disk managment shows following partitions

First-- OEM Partition maximun size 39MB(Easus partion mangager shows tihs as FAT16).windows 7 does show the file system or allow to open it.
contains files 1)command.com,2)dellbio.bin,3)dellrmk.bin,4)oobedone.flg. partition primary

Second---Recovery partition - NTFS-13.25Gb max ,used 8.02 GB-contains folders boot,dell,recovery,preload,system volume information,files like bootmgr,dellcd.boot,dellcd.sys etc.partition system primary.

Third --c:os partition -NTFS-100.63 gb max,used 39.24Gb.partition boot ,primary

Then I,J each 175GB logocal partions -NTFS.

I have a full version if IFW/IFD/IFL (purchased paid version) latest 2.71 version.

I wanted to take full disk image backup in my external usb harddrive 2TB.

I have already tried the full disk image backup using IFL boot cd.

The tib file shows all the partition as mentioned.

But I want expert advice for the best backup options I should follow so that I can restore the disk image and work on my pc as before.
Whether I should use IFD boot cd or IFL boot cd ,or IFW it self.

since I am using win7 64 bit ultimate ,is there a why of making ifw boot cd using WINPE 3.0

whether ifw boot cd made with Bartpe in xp professional will work in my dell pc with win7 64 bit.

kindly advice

kasinath
Brian K

Re: Taking image backup of dell desktop

Post by Brian K »

kasinath,

Use your favourite TeraByte imaging app. They all produce the same image but mainly we use IFW as imaging can be done from Windows.

For an IFW rescue disk...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... torial.htm
KASINATH

Post by KASINATH »

Thank you Mr.Brian K for enlightening me and giving the link for tbiwinre .very Sorry for very late response.

I would like to know while "taking full backup" using IFW/IFD/IFl ,there is a list of "backup options" ,which are the backup options I should select ,so that I can restore my system in the same configuration which I gave in details in my first quarry.

In the Tbiwinre ,there is a option for including the "Drivers" in a folder "Drivers".

Is it really necessary to include drivers in the build? I am going to make a backup of my system and retore if necessary to my same system only.

Kindly please explain.

S Kasinath
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The default backup options are usually fine. I usually select the Validate option, but you can always run a validation on the backup at a later date. Is there a specific option you had questions about?

It's only necessary to add drivers to the TBWinPE/RE builds if they lack support for a device you need to use. For example, you may need to add USB 3 drivers so you can back up to or restore from your USB 3 drive. Normally, you would just do the build and try it out. If you can access the drives (or network) you need then you don't need to add any drivers.