Take Protection OFF IFW Created Images

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
bajanknight

Take Protection OFF IFW Created Images

Post by bajanknight »

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to simply move the "TeraByte_TBI_Backups" Folder into another folder and cannot either gain permission to move the folder or use your program to move the folder.
Please explain to me how to completely remove whatever features you are using to prevent me from moving my images to whatever directory I feel like having them in.

This has got to be the most negative an frustrating feature of your program. Why make it so difficult to simply move an image file to a different location?
Brian K

Re: Take Protection OFF IFW Created Images

Post by Brian K »

bajanknight,

The ProtectIt service is stopping you from moving your backups. To stop the service, open an Admin command prompt and enter...

net stop protectit

To restart the service...

net start protectit

ProtectIt is started when you boot into Windows.

If you don't plan to use ProtectIt, reinstall IFW (uninstall not needed) and don't choose ProtectIt.
bajanknight

Post by bajanknight »

Brian, Thank you so much!
I guess I need to determine how many different reasons there might be for TBU to feel the need to 'prevent' anything/anyone from modifying the image files in the first place, and possibly be concerned with the original reason/intent Protectit was/is implemented .... I wouldn't want something to modify the file except IFW, so now you got me thinking I just might need that protection... If moving the "TeraByte_TBI_Backups" folder from the root of a destination drive (H:\TeraByte_TBI_Backups) to a Folder at that same destination drive like... H:\Backup_Images\Dell_XPS_8700\TeraByte_TBI_Backups . Would it confuse IFW if I had another destination for another machine .... H:\Backup_Images\Dell_Pavilion_dv7\TeraByte_TBI_Backups ? or would it just then see the multiple locations and give me the option to pick which one I wanted to restore/verifiy ?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TeraByte_TBI_Backups folder has to be in the root of a partition to be protected. If you have several partitions you can have several TeraByte_TBI_Backups folders. They are all protected.

If a TeraByte_TBI_Backups folder is in a sub folder it isn't protected. It's no longer in the root.

You can have multiple folders inside a root TeraByte_TBI_Backups folder and they are protected.
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I never noticed protectit, and maybe never installed/selected it, but I do have a question.

If I use a bootable IFD, or Bootable IFL, WINPR/RE pen or cd, will I be able to access the same backup files and do a restore?
Better to learn now before activation ProtectIT.
Thank you in advance,
Terry
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Terry,

All of the TeraByte imaging apps can access files in the protected TeraByte_TBI_Backups folder just as they can access files in any non protected folder. So it's no problem when doing a restore.