PHYLockUseReg question

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Bob Coleman

PHYLockUseReg question

Post by Bob Coleman »

The manual says This option is enabled by default. then says Default if omitted: PHYLock uses INI and/or environment variables.

This seems contradictory, but I'm sure I'm missing something.
pimjoosten

Re: PHYLockUseReg question

Post by pimjoosten »

Page 50 of the manual also states that the default is the registry. I do not think you are missing something but have indeed noticed some contradictions.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

I have just found out that this is more than just a contradiction. Using IFW v3.61a, if I do not include the line PHYLockUseReg=0 in ifw.ini the registry is used for storing the PHYLock Settings. This means that the registry apparently is the default as is stated on page 50 of the manual. Page 156 of the latest manual (2023-07-08) still has the contradiction that is mentioned in the first post. Moreover, the value of 0 is not mentioned in the manual, just PHYLockUseReg=1. I have used the PHYLockUseReg=0 setting ever since I started using IFW thinking this would store the PHYLock settings in ifw.ini instead of the registry (which it does) when I first started using IFW a couple of years ago and was still getting to know the program.

However, there is more to this. If I include PHYLockUseReg=0 in ifw.ini and then use the Save for TBWinPE button after defining an action in IFW, the command line includes the option /plur, which according to the manual is the exact opposite of PHYLockUseReg=0, i.e. that the registry is used. If the line PHYLockUseReg=1 is included in ifw.ini, then the /plur option is not included, which again is the opposite of PHYLockUseReg=1.

It seems that there is something wrong with the description and implementation of /plur and PHYLockUseReg.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The actual default in the program when no .ini is found is to use the registry (consistent with what V2 did before this option existed). The value defaults to PHYLockUseReg=0 in the .ini because setup does that unless the /IFWINI option is passed to the installer. So the manual is correct in the since of normal installation (practicality) and wrong as a matter of fact. This is the only value that has those dynamics.

The command line including "/plur" was a bug (fixed) because it's a bit value defaulting to 1 but the output didn't take in to consideration the default of 1 for bit values (unlike bool values) and truncated the ":1" part of it.
pimjoosten

Post by pimjoosten »

Thank you for the explanation and bug fix.

I would like to suggest to you to clarify the manual, because it actually mentions two defaults which is apparently confusing: inclusion in the registry (“This option is enabled by default”) and inclusion in INI and/or environment variables (“Default if omitted: PHYLock uses INI and/or environment variables”).

My suggestion is to change the sentences to something like “This option is enabled by default if there is no ifw.ini file” and “Default if omitted: PHYLock uses INI and/or environment variables, because the installer includes PHYLockUseReg=0 in ifw.ini”. That would make what happens clear for every reader.