UEFI vs MBR for new install?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
valnar

UEFI vs MBR for new install?

Post by valnar »

All else being equal, if backing up and restoring a Windows PC with Terabyte's Image* products is a prime factor, is there any benefit of installing Windows with UEFI + Secure Boot vs just MBR? All my other computers use MBR for their C: drives and everything works fine, and has for years. I didn't want to change unless I get the okay here that backing up & restoring is "just as good" with UEFI/GPT/Secure boot vs BIOS/MBR.

I know you can install Windows 11 without UEFI or TPM 2.0 and was thinking of doing so, even though my computer supports that. I'm a fan of "uncomplicated".

thanks.
Brian K

Re: UEFI vs MBR for new install?

Post by Brian K »

valnar wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:16 pm I didn't want to change unless I get the okay here that backing up & restoring is "just as good" with UEFI/GPT/Secure boot vs BIOS/MBR.
valnar,

I've been using UEFI systems since before BIU was released. I haven't seen any issues at all with backup/restore using TeraByte Unlimited apps.

I was under the impression that new motherboards would no longer support MBR systems. It hasn't happened yet.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

i was under the impression that Windows 11 has to be booted via UEFI. No?
valnar

Post by valnar »

There are ways around it.