IFW 3.55: Have to enter the network path every single time, even within a single run

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
crawfish

IFW 3.55: Have to enter the network path every single time, even within a single run

Post by crawfish »

I'm currently using Image for Windows 3.55 in Windows 11, but this has been going on for many years. At least once a week, I image the OS (and VM drive for one of them) drives on my two PCs, and the backup drive is an internal drive belonging to one of them. Thus, one of the PCs does a backup across the network, and I have to specify the network path for the backup file. The dialog boxes for this provide a tree control that has an "Entire Network" item, and its child node that would seem to apply is "Microsoft Windows Network". Unfortunately, clicking it freezes the program for 30 seconds or more and doesn't open anything. Thus, I have to type in the path every time in the child node "enter unc path here".

This wasn't so bad until I moved the backup drive to the other PC, and now I have two backups to make per week over the network. It's getting kind of annoying because the program doesn't remember the UNC path I entered when I start configuring the second backup, even though I haven't exited the program since completing the first backup. So I have to type it in twice per week now.

I wish for several things:

1. To be able to select the path using the UI, without any typing, i.e. make "Microsoft Windows Network" work.
2. For the program to remember the path I entered between jobs within a single run.
3. For the program to remember the path I entered between runs. I'd prefer not to have to enter it ever again.
TeraByte Support

Re: IFW 3.55: Have to enter the network path every single time, even within a single run

Post by TeraByte Support »

1 - That's the "network neighborhood" or "network" option in Windows you see in explorer (or choose windows drives and choose windows/network browse). It's built-in to windows so it just waits for Windows to return with the data.

2/3 - Presuming traditional mode, it already does, leave computer or "windows drives" selected, click next (or double click one of them), it brings up the last used (you would have used the unc - you can type it in there as well \\server\share\name)
crawfish

Re: IFW 3.55: Have to enter the network path every single time, even within a single run

Post by crawfish »

TeraByte Support wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:09 am 1 - That's the "network neighborhood" or "network" option in Windows you see in explorer (or choose windows drives and choose windows/network browse). It's built-in to windows so it just waits for Windows to return with the data.
It works in Windows File Explorer. It doesn't work in Image for Windows and has behaved as I described for many years. It's not just my Windows 11 system, but Windows 10, also. Clicking the plus icon to the left of "Microsoft Windows Network" in IFW results in a spinning circle mouse cursor for 30 seconds or so, and then the plus icon disappears, and nothing else happens. Double-clicking the item gives a message box "You must select a specific network share to access..." The only way to proceed is to type a path into the UNC editbox.
2/3 - Presuming traditional mode, it already does, leave computer or "windows drives" selected, click next (or double click one of them), it brings up the last used (you would have used the unc - you can type it in there as well \\server\share\name)
Before starting this thread, I had just performed a "Changes only" backup of my VM drive, and after it had finished, I clicked on the "return to start" button or whatever it's called so that I could backup my OS drive without restarting the program. Now, I'm at the "Backup changes - Select where the existing backup file is located" dialog, and I'm once again presented with "enter unc path here". It did not retain the path I entered to backup the VM drive, and I have to type it in all over again. After I enter it here, it does save it when moving to the subsequent "Select where you want to save the backup" dialog, and that's why I didn't complain about it before, when I had only one weekly network backup to make. I didn't like having to type in the path every week, but it was more trouble to start a thread on it. Now, I've got two network backups to make, and having to type it in twice crossed my threshold for starting a thread.
TeraByte Support

The list is the same one from Windows explorer, but will only show systems, not printers, etc.. It comes from same Windows API explorer uses. I fyou want, you can simply use the windows file/browse button via the windows drives option. You don't have to type in the unc box, from the file name dialog you can type in whatever you want as well as use the aforementioned button.

As mentioned, just choose computer or windows drives (double click or select and click next, the last used path is what will show up). It's covered in the help.
crawfish

Post by crawfish »

TeraByte Support wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:54 pm The list is the same one from Windows explorer, but will only show systems, not printers, etc.. It comes from same Windows API explorer uses. I fyou want, you can simply use the windows file/browse button via the windows drives option. You don't have to type in the unc box, from the file name dialog you can type in whatever you want as well as use the aforementioned button.

As mentioned, just choose computer or windows drives (double click or select and click next, the last used path is what will show up). It's covered in the help.
OK, wow. It never occurred to me that you didn't have to select an item from the "Select where the existing backup file is located" dialog box, and that you could double-click Computer or press "Next" as you say to get to another dialog "Select the existing backup file to use", which does appear to open to the network path I last used. Not exactly intuitive, but once you know it, it works. As for "Microsoft Windows Network", I was expecting my other PC to show up under it, so I that I could choose a share, but it never shows anything. Anyway, thanks, this was helpful.
TeraByte Support

Also note that you don't have to click the big buttons then next, you can just double click them to automatically move forward.
crawfish

Post by crawfish »

I just updated to 3.57. Appreciate the new "Most Recently Used Path" item at the top of the tree views!
plain

Post by plain »

I have the same issue on Win 10. On Win 7 the whole network shows up in "Microsoft Windows Network". Weird. Hopefully not perceived as hijacking the thread as this is exactly my experience with Win 10.