Failed Restoration, Unable to Return to Windows

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
pablo

Failed Restoration, Unable to Return to Windows

Post by pablo »

I tried to restore a Win 10 image using TBWinPE, but it kept failing validation. (ABORT: Data corruption was encountered). I rebooted to Windows, ran the validation from IFW, and it passed. Rebooted to TBWinPE and it kept failing validation. I then tried to restore the image without validation and I got this message: "The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion". Clicked on OK but the restore eventually failed.

And now I am unable to reboot to Windows! Lenovo attempted a startup repair and failed. I can no longer reboot to TBWinPE for further attempts at restoration. How can I fix this?
TeraByte Support

Re: Failed Restoration, Unable to Return to Windows

Post by TeraByte Support »

See https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/kb ... e-message/

Usually memory, could be driver issue. You could try Image for Linux as well which uses its own drivers.

If over the exact system backed up and recent, you could restore and reset the computer without clicking ok on the prompt about the data corruption but something on there still wouldn't be correct and could cause issues.
pablo

Post by pablo »

I finally got Windows back by using a Win 10 DVD and installing the OS over my borked C:\. From there, I could use TBWinPE to restore an older image without validation. I lost everything on the computer for over 12 hours as I struggled to find a solution. It's not the first time that IFW has failed me and I was hoping for a quicker response from this Terabyte forum.

Things are still not right; validation of my C:\ images fails in TBWinPE, even files that I created a day or two ago. I got the "Abort: Data corruption was encountered" warning on 5 out of 6 files that I tried to validate. However, every one of those files successfully validates when I use IFW while in Windows. I can no longer rely on IFW for image restoration.

Why does validation fail only with TBWinPE?
TeraByte Support

It's all covered in the article and as mentioned, it's normally memory but may be drivers as well. There is nothing wrong with the program, the program is protecting you, it's like a diagnostic tool.
pablo

Post by pablo »

I'll run Memtest overnight.
I tried older versions of TBWinPE that I had laying around and the images also failed validation. (v3.41 on a CD and v3.52 on a thumb drive).

Can you explain why all my TBI files validate in Windows 10, but almost all of them fail validation in TBWinPE? Until now, TBWinPE has been a solid performer for me.
TeraByte Support

1 - They use different memory areas
2 - They use different drivers.

You can also try booting IFL and use that to verify.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Memtest86+ found over a hundred errors within an hour of starting the program. I didn't see any reason to continue, so I stopped the diagnostic.
I opened the case and reseated the RAM hoping for a quick fix, but it only made things worse. The computer won't even start now, there's just an endless cycle of the fans briefly spinning and stopping. Tried moving the RAM to another slot, but it just produces a POST beep error of 3 shorts and a long...memory problem. I'll look for a new module, run Memtest again, and then see how TBWinPE validation is doing.

Are images that are created with bad RAM viable?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If the backups were created successfully and still pass validation, I would consider them to be good (in the same state as when created). Also, unless you know exactly when the RAM issue started, it's possible some or all of the backups were created before the RAM had issues. At the very least, I would keep them until you have good replacements. If you end up reinstalling Windows, you can copy your data files out of them, for example.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Installed the new RAM and it passed an overnight Memtest diagnostic. All the TBI files that had previously failed validation in TBWinPE have now passed. I'll keep all my backups even though I'm unsure when the RAM problem began. I always validate byte-for-byte when creating images and validate backups before restoration.
Thanks for the help.