Another suggestion

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tas3086

Another suggestion

Post by tas3086 »

Screenshot 2022-10-21 075639.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-21 075639.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
My backups are done by scripts in the background. Occasionally there is a hang with a screen that looks like this. Is it possible to indicate the file that is being backed-up or the restore to file somewhere on the screen, or the exact command that is being run? This screen provides no info.

note: this screen shot was created as an example. Normally the clock shows hours of waited time, not 10 seconds !
TeraByte Support

Re: Another suggestion

Post by TeraByte Support »

nothing is being backed up at that point, it's waiting for drive writing to stop up to the max wait time of 10 min for phylock to start. PHYLock is used if VSS is not enabled or fails to say its available to be used. If it's beyond roughly 10 min, you' have to send a full dump to support to see why .. You can use something like https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... s/procdump
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I understand all that, but I would like to see some information that is meaningful on your Preforming the backup window.
Knowing what was going on, other than phylock was running, might help me find the problem. Yes/No ?
TeraByte Support

PHYLock is not running yet either, it's waiting. As mentioned, if it goes beyond max wait time, do a full dump on the process and send it to support to check out what it may be.
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

You are running phylock against some disk/partition for some purpose.. You know some information about the disk : drive letter, ntsig,guid, image command that caused this action...etc. Why not put something on that screen to tell me what drive/partition phylock is accessing.

Your message says: Phylock is waiting for drive writing to stop. Tell me what the drive is. I don't need to know how it works.
TeraByte Support

The drive being backed up.
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

My backup processes run in the background. It invokes image with the appropriate parameters. Many partitions are backed up on different days and different intervals. As these are run in the morning am hours, nobody is there to look at the screens, except at 8:am when the screen is showing PHYLOC waiting.

WHEN I SEE THE SCREEN I AM UNABLE TO TELL WHAT, WHERE AND WHO is having the problem. Do you understand what I am asking for?
TeraByte Support

currently you would need to see which completed to know one it's on (or if you enable the log to write direct, it would be in the .log, but then you can't have it emailed).
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

I guess it is not possible for you to put any additional logical relevant information on your status screen. Just come out an say it.
Thank you for your useless information, and your lack of understanding.
This is the first time that I have been completely dissatisfied with Terabyte support in more than 8 years.
No follow up comments are needed. I can program around your information failure.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

tas3086,

Is your source disk failing? Each error seems related to that disk.