/savename registry key

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Montclair

/savename registry key

Post by Montclair »

What is the registry key name, and value type created by the /savename option? I want to implement this option for incremental backups but don't want to run another full backup just to populate the registry with the key.

Also, my understanding is that the argument for /savename is just a placeholder for the actual file name, and isn't terribly important, correct? In these command lines, "lastfullbackup" could be anything, as long as it's the same anything for both the full backup and the incremental, yes?

Full backup command line:
imagew.exe /b /hash /uy /ui /err /d:1 /purge:-14 /plvolf /pldisk:1 /pldcs:1112 /iobs:A /po:514 /plmwt:2 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100 /logfile:"c:\documents and settings\xxx\desktop\ifw.log" /f:t:\Fullback\xxx\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$ /savename:lastfullbackup

Incremental command line:
imagew.exe /b /hash /uy /ui /err /plvolf /pldisk:1 /pldcs:1112 /iobs:A /po:514 /plmwt:2 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100 /logfile:"c:\documents and settings\xxx\desktop\ifw.log" /f:t:\Fullback\xxx\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$ /base:$~lastfullbackup$
TeraByte Support

Re: /savename registry key

Post by TeraByte Support »

correct, it would be under "software\terabyte unlimited\image"

"Montclair" wrote in message news:8287@public.image...

What is the registry key name, and value type created by the /savename
option? I want to implement this option for incremental backups but don't
want to run another full backup just to populate the registry with the key.

Also, my understanding is that the argument for /savename is just a
placeholder for the actual file name, and isn't terribly important, correct?
In these command lines, "lastfullbackup" could be anything, as long as it's
the same anything for both the full backup and the incremental, yes?

Full backup command line:
imagew.exe /b /hash /uy /ui /err /d:1 /purge:-14 /plvolf /pldisk:1
/pldcs:1112 /iobs:A /po:514 /plmwt:2 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100
/logfile:"c:\documents and settings\xxx\desktop\ifw.log"
/f:t:\Fullback\xxx\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$ /savename:lastfullbackup

Incremental command line:
imagew.exe /b /hash /uy /ui /err /plvolf /pldisk:1 /pldcs:1112 /iobs:A
/po:514 /plmwt:2 /pltr:1 /pltw:1 /plti:100 /logfile:"c:\documents and
settings\xxx\desktop\ifw.log" /f:t:\Fullback\xxx\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$
/base:$~lastfullbackup$

Montclair

Post by Montclair »

Can you please be more specific? What is the registry key name? What is the value type of key?

i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TeraByte Unlimited\Image then what, and what type of value?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

In 32-bit Windows it would use the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TeraByte Unlimited\Image\ExternVars

In 64-bit Windows the location would depend on whether you're running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of IFW:
32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeraByte Unlimited\Image\ExternVars
64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TeraByte Unlimited\Image\ExternVars

The variables saved are type REG_SZ and specify the path to the backup (e.g. G:\My backups\Backup 2014-07).
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

I upgraded to 3.53 from 2.x on one of my XP machines, and I'm getting prompted with:

"Insert media 1 containing file "$~lastfullbackup$.TBI"

I checked the registry and the entries got wiped apparently. I exported ExternVars from another machine's registry, edited it to correct the file name, and imported that into the XP machine's registry so now ExternVars has:

Name & Data
c_lastfullbackup t:\Fullback\David\C\08-16-2022

I restarted the backup, and it's still prompting me with "Insert media 1 containing file "$~lastfullbackup$.TBI"

What's the fix? I'd prefer not to have to run a full C backup to get the thing working. The command line I'm running is:

"C:\Program Files\TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite\imagew.exe" /b /uy /ui /hash /base:$~lastfullbackup$ /err /plvolf /po:771 /plmwt:1 /pltr:0 /pltw:0 /plti:100 /comp:10 /usevss /logfile:"c:\documents and settings\David\desktop\ifw.log" /f:t:\Fullback\David\C\$~MM$-$~DD$-$~YYYY$
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Is the name correct? You have "c_lastfullbackup" and "lastfullbackup".
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

Hmm.. okay. I thought the "c_" was inserted there by IFW. I changed it to lastfullbackup and it works now. Thanks!
Montclair

Post by Montclair »

I had this problem again today after upgrading IFW from 3.53 to 3.54 on Windows 10 64-bit. Something is wiping out these keys sometimes. It didn't affect my XP VM though this time for whatever reason.

It may have something to do with uninstalling V2, as I hadn't removed it from the Win 10 machine previously when I installed 3.53, but did this time as requested when upgrading from 3.53 to 3.54. I had already removed V2 from the XP VM when I installed 3.53 and that didn't have the issue when I upgraded it to 3.54.

Perhaps you could amend the installation code to save the keys to variables, in case the user selects to uninstall a previous version, then if the variables contain values when the installation continues, or if the user aborts, you re-write the keys.