Copy & rename partition

User discussion and information resource forum for the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite.
manny4

Copy & rename partition

Post by manny4 »

Hello All.
Im new to OSD Tool and I was hoping to use it to manually backup partitions and to later create a script to run the commands and therefore automate the process. However I have a problem, there doesn’t seem to be a way to rename a partition. I have read through the PDF manual several times but cant resolve this.

What I want to do is very simple and can be done from the Bootit BM partition works menu. By copying a partition and pasting it in unallocated space, it creates an identical partition and asked me for a new partition name. However in OSD tools the copy command just makes an identical copy of the partition but there is no way of specifying a new name and there is no rename partition command either.

I have attached a list of the partitions to show what I want to do.

I’d like to copy partition 83 (part4 win) into partition 82 (part3ci) but retaining the name part3ci or renaming it afterwards.
If I use command: copy partition 0 0x83 0 0x82 it says “the target partition area must be unused”
If I delete partition 82 (part3ci) and do the same command it copies partition but then I have two partition with identical names and can’t find a way of renaming one of them.
I’ve also tried adding a partition (not formatted) in that unallocated space and naming it part3ci, but then when I do the copy command I get the same error the target partition area must be unused”.

What have I missed or am I doing something wrong here?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
list of HD 0
list of HD 0
screen.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 20439 times
Brian K

Re: Copy & rename partition

Post by Brian K »

manny4,

You can re-name partitions with embr.exe. It runs it tbosdt.

For example...

exec embr 0 PNA 0x59 newname
Eric

Post by Eric »

You can use the "set vol" command, but you need to first mount the
partition you want to rename ("mount 0: 0 0x82").

manny4

Post by manny4 »

Hi. Great yes looks like I can do it that way, think I can even change the ID too.
However on doing it I get error hdnum out of range (0-65535)

What I did was copied the embr.exe file to same directory as tbosdtw.exe (c:/progs/tbosdtw) and typed;
exec embr 0 pna 0x85 part3ci
I get the same error when I type; exec embr 0 lis

Opened a command box cd to c:/progs/tbosdtw and run the command directly in embr.exe but get the exact same error.

Googled the error and looked on terabyte web but nothing comes up.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I don't think embr.exe runs in Windows. I copy it to the BIBM partition and run it from Scripting.

You need to upgrade to BIBM.
manny4

Post by manny4 »

Brian K wrote:I don't think embr.exe runs in Windows. I copy it to the BIBM partition and run it from Scripting.

You need to upgrade to BIBM.
Ok by "run it from scripting" I presume you mean from the bootitBM maintenance screen where you can choose option RUN and then select a script to execute ???

If so thats what I was trying to avoid doing. I want to be able to do the backups/restore from a second OS like linux without having to boot to the bootit screen.
manny4

Post by manny4 »

Eric wrote:You can use the "set vol" command, but you need to first mount the
partition you want to rename ("mount 0: 0 0x82").
HI. Thanks that works great, but the ID has changed from its original 0x82 to 0x85. Is there a command to change the ID?

The reason is I would like to automate this process with a script to execute the commands and if the ID of partition 0x82 changes each time I backup to it, I won’t be able to refer to that partition in the copy command.
i.e. copy partition 0 0x83 0 0x82
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

manny4,

I'm confused as to why you aren't using IFW for your backups.
manny4

Post by manny4 »

Brian K wrote:manny4,

I'm confused as to why you aren't using IFW for your backups.

HI, yeah I sometimes choose the difficult option.

I don’t live close to my parents and I wanted to connect remotely to their pc. The idea was, I’d get them to boot into a second OS i.e. linux/tinyxp and id connect remotely and backup/restore their OS/data. I thought if I could learn to do this using the commands I could write them on a script and just execute the script, automating the process as much as possible.

Yesterday I was playing with IFW and yes it works fine. When backing up partition “a” to partition “b”, “b” gets renamed to match “a”, but I can easily change that with BTOSDT & the set vol command I learnt here.

In the bootit partition I noticed image.exe so I’m thinking if I can successfully run the commands that are visible in IFW using the exec command, maybe I can put them in a script and do it that way. Not sure if this is possible but when I get a chance will try.

Thanks for your help.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You could backup and restore your parents' computer using a variation of this method. I use it at times over our home network.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... otfile.htm