IFL boot media

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
userX

IFL boot media

Post by userX »

I just created the IFL boot media on a flash drive with the newest version. It works well and the new interface looks great too, no problems with networking on it. There are some new programs I did not see in the previous media, but I am not sure whether these were just added or because I am looking at it with a new, higher resolution, which allows them to be shown now. Regardless, I am pleased indeed. Now I have three questions.

1. First, one of the programs shown in the IFL gui is labeled "copyp2v". What is that and where is the documentation that explains it. I want to become familiar with all of those programs, and I want to read the documentation to begin with.

2. Secondly, when I look at the program called Terabyte Explorer, is it showing me the file system of the IFL program in a RAM disk?

3. Finally, after I boot into the IFL environment with the flash drive boot media, can I remove the drive itself? Does the IFL OS and all those programs continue to work without having the physical drive in the machine? Is there a proper, safe way to remove it, such as what we do in Windows by clicking on an icon in the System Tray to safely remove hardware?

Thanks again for continuing to improve this outstanding product and providing great support.
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL boot media

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

userX wrote:I just created the IFL boot media on a flash drive with the newest version. It works well and the new interface looks great too, no problems with networking on it. There are some new programs I did not see in the previous media, but I am not sure whether these were just added or because I am looking at it with a new, higher resolution, which allows them to be shown now. Regardless, I am pleased indeed. Now I have three questions.

It sounds like you're using the GUI version, but note that the original IFL (CUI) is also still avalable, so you have a choice of user interface.

1. First, one of the programs shown in the IFL gui is labeled "copyp2v". What is that and where is the documentation that explains it. I want to become familiar with all of those programs, and I want to read the documentation to begin with.

That is a script (written in TBScript), and it can be used to convert a physical installation of Windows to a virtual machine. It's part of the TBOSDTS (TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite) product, but it is also included with IFL for convenience, since it requires one of the image programs (IFL, IFD, or IFW) to work. There's no specific manual for it, but there's a video tutorial for it here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos ... -vista.wmv

2. Secondly, when I look at the program called Terabyte Explorer, is it showing me the file system of the IFL program in a RAM disk?

When you first start it up, you are looking at the contents of the /tbu directory on the IFL boot disk (which runs from RAM). It's basically a file manager, and you can use the F1 key to view the help for the features available. TeraByte Exlorer also has the ability to mount drives and partitions, including partitions that are not currently in the MBR (relevant if you also use BIBM or BING, and don't limit primaries). For that, you would use the "Mount/Unmount a drive path identifier" item.

3. Finally, after I boot into the IFL environment with the flash drive boot media, can I remove the drive itself? Does the IFL OS and all those programs continue to work without having the physical drive in the machine? Is there a proper, safe way to remove it, such as what we do in Windows by clicking on an icon in the System Tray to safely remove hardware?

It runs completely from RAM, so you can just remove the boot media after it finishes booting. Note that if you mount it during the session (which is normally not necessary), you should unmount it before removing it. That would only apply to r/w media such as USB flash drives - not CD/DVD.

Thanks again for continuing to improve this outstanding product and providing great support.