Custom Background Image?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
primem0ver

Custom Background Image?

Post by primem0ver »

I am looking into purchasing this software, primarily for the multi-boot functionality. I want to be able to customize the background image. Does this software allow that?
CyberSimian

Re: Custom Background Image?

Post by CyberSimian »

primem0ver wrote:
> I am looking into purchasing this software, primarily for the multi-boot
> functionality.

Be aware that multibooting requires the boot disk to be partitioned as MBR. Most newer systems are shipped with boot disks partitioned as GPT (i.e. UEFI), so if this is your situation, you would need to re-install your existing OS after converting the disk to MBR.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:46:07 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
CyberSimian disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Be aware that multibooting requires the boot disk to be partitioned as MBR. Most newer systems are shipped with boot disks partitioned as GPT (i.e. UEFI), so if this is your situation, you would need to re-install your existing OS after converting the disk to MBR.

Doesn't the TBU convert a GPT disk to an MBR one whilst preserving the
data? I refuse to have anything to do with GPT disks for as long as
possible so I can use BIBM as a boot manager.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

DrTeeth wrote:

> Doesn't the TBU convert a GPT disk to an MBR one whilst preserving the
> data? I refuse to have anything to do with GPT disks for as long as
> possible so I can use BIBM as a boot manager.
> --

I don't remember all the details now, but yes, I'm pretty sure I converted a GPT disk to MBR without reinstalling the OS using instructions from the Terabyte knowledge base.

My recollection is that that there is a largely manual method and Terabyte script that pretty much automates the process.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

I thought the OP meant desktop color/image. :lol:

Normally switching from GPT/MBR/EMBR isn't an issue. The one time I did have an issue, it seemed GPT didn't have room to store multiple copies of the Partition Table. It was over a year ago, the particulars are lost. GPT basically does 2 different things from other formats. First is the security of not allowing the partition table to be altered and the self repair, the second is the ability to recognize large capacity disks. Seeing as neither is crucial as it applies to multi-boot, there's no reason not to have a data disk with the format. I don't know the ability to choose which data partitions any OS can see with GPT, whether Fill or other method works.

As an aside, I've heard people mention other places they can't stop an OS install from creating utility partitions no matter what. The only time an install has done that here is if the partition I created wasn't large enough to hold the unpacking of the installer and the install. I wonder if it's been down to GPT all along and storage of backup Partition Table entries, etc.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I was going to edit my last post, but don't want the original poster to miss this.

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2547 for the story of my successful conversion.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

I got a replacement hard drive. It was already formatted GPT. I think I
used IFL to change it to MBR. Since it was for Win 7, that was essential.
That may be possible booting from BIBM.
Mary

On 3/31/2018 12:19 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> DrTeeth wrote:
>
>> Doesn't the TBU convert a GPT disk to an MBR one whilst preserving the
>> data? I refuse to have anything to do with GPT disks for as long as
>> possible so I can use BIBM as a boot manager.
>> --
>
> I don't remember all the details now, but yes, I'm pretty sure I converted a GPT disk to MBR without reinstalling the OS using instructions from the Terabyte knowledge base.
>
> My recollection is that that there is a largely manual method and Terabyte script that pretty much automates the process.
>
>
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

primem0ver wrote:
> I want to be able to customize the background image. Does
> this software allow that?

Yes, you can have your own background image. See page 59 in the BIBM manual.

To create a .pcx file...

http://convertimage.net/convert-a-picture/to-pcx/
primem0ver

Post by primem0ver »

Brian K wrote:
> primem0ver wrote:
> > I want to be able to customize the background image. Does
> > this software allow that?
>
> Yes, you can have your own background image. See page 59 in the BIBM manual.
>
> To create a .pcx file...
>
> http://convertimage.net/convert-a-picture/to-pcx/

Wow... thanks Brian. I appreciate it. To the rest of you... I am confused why people in forums can't simply answer the question being asked. I don't need any help with anything other than the question. IF your going to give all kinds of other advice, at least address the original post. Nothing else said was even relevant.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Yes, I appreciate that this thread got off track, but:

You said you were considering purchasing the software, primarily for the multi-boot functionality.

Reacting to that statement, we thought we were being helpful in alerting you to situations which might make you not want to purchase it for that reason.

Allegation of not addressing the original question accepted and sorry if you were offended by the attempt to possibly help you avoid a pitfall.