Can I partion an SSD drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TonyMarston

Can I partion an SSD drive

Post by TonyMarston »

I am in the process of transferring all my stuff from an old PC with an HDD drive to a new one with an SSD drive. Before I do this I need to replicate my current partitions on the new PC. Will your product enable me to partition an SSD drive?
TeraByte Support

Re: Can I partion an SSD drive

Post by TeraByte Support »

enable 1MiB alignment in settings, restore the backup image using align to
target, scale to fit, and remove gaps.

or if you really need it exactly the same, then just restore it.

but yes, ssd will look like a normal hdd that you can partition.

"TonyMarston" wrote in message news:14659@public.bootitbm...

I am in the process of transferring all my stuff from an old PC with an HDD
drive to a new one with an SSD drive. Before I do this I need to replicate
my current partitions on the new PC. Will your product enable me to
partition an SSD drive?

TonyMarston

Post by TonyMarston »

That's great. Now I am having a problem installing it onto the drive. I have created the installation files on a USB stick, but the PC will not boot from that device. I have disabled "Secure boot" in the BIOS setup, turned off BitLocker encryption and set the boot sequence to start with the USB stick, but it ignores it and goes straight into Windows. Are there any settings that I need to select when creating the installation files?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TonyMarston wrote:
>and set the boot sequence to start
> with the USB stick,

Tony,

Try using the BIOS Boot Menu to boot the flash drive.

Did you make the flash drive by double clicking makedisk.exe in the BIBM folder?
TonyMarston

Post by TonyMarston »

Yes, I ran makedisk.exe and wrote to the USB drive, then during the boot I selected the USB drive as the first device.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TonyMarston wrote:
>, then during the boot I
> selected the USB drive as the first device.

Try the BIOS Boot menu instead. It is more reliable than changing the boot order.

Have you enabled CSM in the UEFI BIOS?
TonyMarston

Post by TonyMarston »

I enabled that option and it booted from the USB stick, but I cannot install BootItBM on the HDD. The USB stick shows up as drive 0 and the HDD as drive 1. I manually created an 8Mb partition but when I pressed Setup I got error message "The drive is not using an EMBR which is required for setup. Use the Change Disk Type button". When I tried this button I got the error message "Your request is being ignored because EFI Systems require a GPT"
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TonyMarston wrote:
>
> I got the error message "Your request is being ignored because EFI
> Systems require a GPT"

Tony, a bit more info is needed. Do you have an OS on that SSD? Is it Win10?

When you disabled Secure Boot did you set the OS Type to "Other OS" and not "Windows UEFI"? Your BIOS might have different wording.

Have you made an Entire Drive image of the HD on the old computer? Which OS is on the old computer? Is it installed in MBR/Legacy mode?

Do you plan to delete all data from the SSD and restore your Entire Drive image to the SSD?
TonyMarston

Post by TonyMarston »

The new computer is Windows 10 Professional with a 500Mb SSD which has a single partition. I am trying to break it up into smaller partitions to emulate what I have on my old computer which is Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 7 home.

When I disabled Secure Boot on the new PC I did not change the OS type at all, so I must have left it at Windows UEFI.

I have an image of the C drive on my old PC but I do not plan to install it on my new PC as it has a totally different chip set and probably won't boot.

Although I cannot install BootItBM on the SSD drive I can still run it from the USB stick and do the partitioning that way. I will continue to use Image for Windows to create backup images.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

OK, all clear now.

I suggest you make an IFL USB flash drive. This will contain BIBM PartWork and will boot in UEFI mode. You then won't need to use the BIBM UFD which doesn't boot in UEFI mode. When you have the IFL UFD you should disable CSM, Enable Secure boot with Windows UEFI mode.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management so we can make some partitioning suggestions. Actually, post a Disk Management screenshot from each computer.

You can't install BIBM to a GPT disk. Your new computer has a GPT disk.