IFD faiing HD?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
rks

IFD faiing HD?

Post by rks »

I use IFD. Today while booting my laptop I got a S.M.A.R.T. warning for the HD in my laptop. Its a 320GB NTFS partitioned into 5 volumes (drive letters). The warnings I got are:

(05) Reallocated Sector Count CURRENT: 100 WORST: 100 THRESHOLD: 5 DATA: 1 STATUS: warning

(C4) Reallocated Event Count CURRENT: 100 WORST: 100 THRESHOLD: 0 DATA: 1 STATUS: warning

The harddrive is the original one that came with my laptop in year 2010. Power-On Hours: 30905

1) How is this going to affect Making and Restoring backup images? Will there be any Issues?
2) I may purchase a HD identical to the original. If I Image the entire drive as it is(with the warnings) will there
be any issues/problems Restoring the image to a new identical HD?

Any info much appreciated....
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: IFD faiing HD?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I would certainly recommend replacing the drive as soon as possible (those types of problems can get worse quickly). Any bad sectors wouldn't be able to be backed up or restored to. This may or may not cause any issues depending on what they're used for. When you create a backup or restore an image there may be warnings if bad sectors are encountered (you would be prompted to continue).

Restoring to an identical drive installed in the laptop should just be a normal restore. If you've done restores to the existing drive, it would be the same as that. I would also consider the possibility of upgrading to a SSD, especially if you plan on keeping the laptop for a while yet.
rks

Post by rks »

Thank you for that valuable information Paul. Unfortunately I couldn't find an exact duplicate of the HD to buy because of its age. Only use and refurbs have I located and I don't want that. Therefore I purchased a WD drive. Its 500GB in size whereas the current one, with the issue, is 320GB. I hate to use any more of your time but would you be so kind as to answer:

1) You mentioned about the bad sectors. Will those be within the image? If so, will they be written to the new HD?
2) Since the new HD is bigger in size, and not an identical replacement drive, is there anything specific thats needs to be done(IFD settings)

Thank you again sir

Robert
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

If you had errors on the backup those sectors will contain undefined data. If not, you should be fine.

Use the expand to fit option on restore (if in traditional mode) if you want it to expand to the new larger size.
rks

Post by rks »

Thanks again. I don't know if the image has those bad sectors or not. What happens if it does and I restore to a new HD?

You see, this happened when I was restoring an image to my c:'\ drive. I've never had an issue with the HD. However, after I restored this image and booted is when the SMART warning popped up..So I cannot determine if the SMART error happened after the image restore, coincidence. I wonder if there is some way to determine if the image has the bad sectors within it?

I have a replacement HD on the way. Will be swapping next week(FINGERS CROSSED XX)