New 3TB backup drive - booting to TBWinPE

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
YesAndNo

New 3TB backup drive - booting to TBWinPE

Post by YesAndNo »

Hello,
I've been backing up to a 1TB drive that boots into TBWinPE for a long time now. I'm also using Tom Cole's scripts to automate things. I've just bought a 3TB drive to replace it and ran into the 2TB limit with MBR and have set it to GPT instead to access 3TB but have no experience with it.
As I remember, I think I made the old drive bootable and copied the files used to create a TBWinPE bootable USB to it, but It's been a while.

How can I still boot into TBWinPE like I used to? To complicate things, my old drive is dual boot into TBWinPE and another WINPE using the windows boot manager. I slot it into a removable "caddy" when I need to backup.

Thanks for any help.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: New 3TB backup drive - booting to TBWinPE

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Assuming the system is booting UEFI/GPT, if you want to boot the 3TB drive directly it would depend on what the BIOS supports. You may be able to just copy the TBWinPE files to the drive and boot it. Or you may need to create an EFI System partition on it and copy the files there. If you want independent dual-booting on the GPT disk you would need to configure the BCD on it to support this (would basically be the same as it would be on an MBR disk).
YesAndNo

Re: New 3TB backup drive - booting to TBWinPE

Post by YesAndNo »

Thanks a lot. The more I look into this I don't think my motherboard supports it. I've set the drive to MBR and will have to loose the extra storage. I should have researched it first and bought a 2TB, I just didn't know about the limit.
Thanks again.