newbie dual boot w7 and w xp

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jahroud

newbie dual boot w7 and w xp

Post by jahroud »

Hope someone can help me. Before I used bootit I had a multi-boot with 2 win xp in different drives (without bootit installed) and it worked like a charm (boot.ini files correctly set). Then, in place of the first win xp drive I did a fresh installation of windows 7 (no update). With bootit, I created a multi boot, so I have on top of HD0 Windows 7, and on top of HD1 windows XP. Each OS are hidden from the other...
If I want to boot on windows 7, no problem, but for windows xp, it only works if I choose the "swap" option. Is there someting to do with the boot.ini file? (I changed the disk number but no success... didn't try further) or Is there something else I'm missing? Thank you
Last edited by jahroud on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1pcfixer

Re: newbie dual boot w7 and w xp

Post by a1pcfixer »

Jahroud,

> If I want to boot on windows 7, no problem, but for windows xp, it only works if I choose the "swap" option.

That's working as designed (WAD).

Use of the 'swap' option tricks WinXP which is on your HD1, into thinking it's rally on HD0.
--

Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002

jahroud

Post by jahroud »

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "WAD". I don't see it as an option... If I don't use the "swap" option, I cannot boot on XP... In fact, if I boot without the "swap" option, I have the error "NTLDR is missing / Press ctrl + alt + del to restart". My xp is on the top of hard drive 1... Any suggestion?
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

What is meant is that you can only boot XP if you use the
swap so it thinks it is on HD 0.

On 2/9/2012 1:20 PM, jahroud wrote:
> Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "WAD". I don't see it as an option... If I don't use the "swap" option, I cannot boot on XP... In fact, if I boot without the "swap" option, I have the error "NTLDR is missing / Press ctrl + alt + del to restart". My xp is on the top of hard drive 1... Any suggestion?
>
>
jahroud

Post by jahroud »

Yes, I also noticed that, thank you anyway for taking your time to answer, but it doesn't help me at all... My question is why is it only possible to boot on HD0 ?
Last edited by jahroud on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 11:51:53 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
jahroud disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>My question is why Is it only possible to boot on HD0 ? I guess no! It must be something that I'm missing....
It is the way Microsoft designed Windows, it is as simple as that.
Using the 'swap' option makes Windows on HD1 boot and that is how BIBM
works. It is as simple as that.
--

Cheers

DrT
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

jahroud wrote:Yes, I also noticed that, thank you anyway for taking your time to answer, but it doesn't help me at all... My question is why is it only possible to boot on HD0 ?
What am I missing here?

The operating systems only boot if they are on HD0 or think they are on HD0. The swap options accomplishes the latter.

You've already said you can boot XP using the swap option and been told that that's exactly what the swap option is for.

Why do you persist? You don't have a problem/
jahroud

Post by jahroud »

Thanks, it looks much clear to me... I saw the swap option like a "secondary option" to "special drives" or whatever... So you mean I did right to chose the "swap" option?
a1pcfixer

Post by a1pcfixer »

Jahroud,

> Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "WAD".

Once again......

That's (w)orking (a)s (d)esigned (WAD)......get it?

> If I don't use the "swap" option, I cannot boot on XP.

Again.....

> Use of the 'swap' option tricks WinXP which is on your HD1, into thinking it's really on
HD0.

Windows XP, Vista, and Win 7 all expect to be on HD0 in order to boot up. Using the 'swap'
option tricks then into thinking your HD1 is instead HD0.

From the BIBM manual, page 34;

"For example, if you boot a partition on HD1 (the second hard drive) with the swap option On,
BootIt BM swaps that hard drive with HD0 so that HD1 is now HD0 and (the real) HD0 is now
HD1."

NOW do ya get it?
--

Jim L.

a1pcfixer

Post by a1pcfixer »

Jahroud,

> So you mean I did right to chose the "swap" option?

YES!!!
--

Jim L.